Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Niki Taylor is what we'd call an original supermodel. A Florida girl with a big smile and all-American good looks, she rose to fame at the tender age of 14, gracing the covers of Seventeen and Vogue and eventually walking the runways for Isaac Mizrahi and Versace with Naomi, Kate, Christy, and Linda. In 1996 alone, she snagged six major magazine covers. We fondly remember coveting her flawless skin in those Cover Girl campaigns, and spent hours by the pool with lemon juice in our hair trying to get that perfect Niki blonde.
After being sidelined by a serious car crash in 2001 wherein she was badly injured and underwent 40 surgical procedures, Niki made what can only be called a miraculous recovery and has returned to modeling for the past 15 years (including a stint on The Celebrity Apprentice in 2011). She's a mother of four, currently calls Tennessee home, is married to NASCAR driver Burney Lamar, and between all this, we managed to get a peek inside her classic Jason Wu 'Suvi Shopper' tote bag to see what she never leaves home without.
1. Jo Malone Cologne in Nectarine Blossom and Honey. It's such a beautiful fruity smell, that transcends day and night wear. I feel comfortable wearing it at all times.
2. Marc Jacobs makeup. I love to keep a few of my favorite beauty products in my bag. Marc Jacobs's new glow stick spotlight is an amazing highlighter and is so quick and easy to use. The Velvet Noir mascara and gel eyeliner I am never without! My contour kit is great as I can use it for an everyday natural look, as well as building it for a more glam look. Nude sheer lip gel is also a must-have in my bag; it's super moisturizing and has a slight shimmer too.
3. WTRMLN WTR. So refreshing and it always keeps me hydrated. And it's yummy too.
4. Glossier Mint Balm Dotcom. I am loving the new mint balm for the obvious flavor and the moisture my lips need.
5. Nexcare Give bandages. These waterproof bandages live in my wallet. They have the word "give" on them and celebrate World Blood Donor Day. This is always on June 14th and is very important to me. Every 2 seconds someone in the US needs blood, which is the case of the tragedy in Orlando, Florida now.
6. Jason Wu sunglasses. These are my go-to. I always feel chic in big cat-eye glasses.
7. So-So happy. As a mom, stuffed toys and stickers are a necessity for me to keep in my bag. When I am traveling I love buying these as gifts for my kids.
8. Quest bars. Since I am constantly on the go, these are great for a quick snack and taste so good too.