Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
When it comes to celebrity hairstylists, Sally Hershberger is the original mogul, trendsetter, and rock star cool girl. Her client roster that includes Kate Moss, Sandra Bernhard, Jane Fonda, Vera Wang, and Meg Ryan—Sally gave Meg that signature shaggy cut—and you could positively assert that Sally is the best of the best. She spent her formative years working with iconic fashion photographers like Herb Ritts, Steven Meisel, Mario Testino, Richard Avedon, and Helmut Newton. (Talk about a dream dinner table.)
Turning her extensive knowledge and experience into a brand, 24K, seemed a totally natural transition for the entrepreneur, who also helmed John Frieda's haircare line for ten years. After all, if anyone knows how to help everyone get great hair (whether on their own at home or in a salon), it's Sally. We were lucky enough to score a peek inside her red perforated Hermès 'Evelyne' bag to see what the hairdresser to the stars never leaves home without.
1. Jols Orange Pastilles. I'm obsessed with them. I carry them because they keep my mouth moist. I love the taste of them and they’re sugar free.
2. My japa beads. I use these to repeat my mantra to keep me focused on what’s important. I got them in upstate New York and they’re amber and gold. I keep them in this turquoise Hermès pouch.
3. Choward’s Violet Mints are nice for a little sweet. They’re British and anytime I see them in the store, I’ll buy them.
4. Louis Vuitton keychain. It was from an ex of mine and it’s lightweight and easy to carry.
5. Blistex Lip Medex. I'm addicted to it. It’s the best for keeping my lips moist, which I like.
6. Campo Marzio pen. It was a gift from my spiritual teacher.
7. Robert Marc sunglasses, made especially for me. They are my go-to accessory.
8. 24K Vanity Hair Shaping Balm is the best for sprucing up my hair because it’s a little bit thicker and curly. It adds texture and shine and helps tame the frizz when I’m walking around the city.
9. 24K Supreme Stylist Dry Shampoo in the travel size. It’s perfect to add a little bit of lift and volume on the go.
10. YSL wallet. I love it because I love pink.