Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Before everybody started using argan oil as a moisturizer, there was Josie Maran. The all-American model and actress turned her eco-friendly sensibilities and passion to the cosmetics world, and a veritable empire was born. Josie Maran Cosmetics gave us our first taste of high-end, natural beauty products, and proved that the mom and entrepreneur is serious about wellness.
Still, our inner fangirl knows Josie best as the face of Guess in the late '90s, a Sports Illustrated superstar, and a member of the band Darling with Nicole Richie and Soleil and Sofia Alberti (girl can play the violin and sing for days). The earthy model and mama was kind enough to give us a peek inside her Newbark bag—which is actually a detachable pouch she carries as a clutch—to see what she can't leave home without.
1. Peppermint dōTERRA essential oil rollerball. I always have peppermint essential oil in my bag because a few drops can invigorate my senses and give me a boost of opportunity throughout my day. I apply a few drops on my neck.
2. My QVC pass. I always have this on me, anytime I’m going to QVC I need to show this!
3. Josie Maran Argan Color Stick in Spice. It gives my lips and cheeks a quick splash of color when I am pressed for time or on the go.
4. Josie Maran Argan Infinity Intensive Creamy Oil. Instead of keeping a bottle of oil in my bag, I keep this and use it as a cream to condition my lips, smooth dry spots, tame my eyebrows and it can even work as a highlighter on my cheek bones.
5. Josie Maran Argan Daily Moisturizer SPF 47. SPF is so crucial in keeping skin beautiful and glowing, I love this product because it’s natural yet effective.
6. Portable iPhone charger. I need to check my phone constantly throughout the day and as a result my battery doesn’t last. When I’m on the go, I can’t risk having a dead phone!
7. Healing crystal earrings. I enjoy healing stones because they help focus, transfer, and store energy associated with environmental changes before it enters our auras.