Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Working alongside Monica Rose*—the stylist responsible for the Kardashian crew's best looks ever—you'd be bound to pick up more than a few tips on what's chic. That may explain why Sormeh Salimpour knows hows how to achieve that red carpet-worthy aesthetic—a tool she's now using to transform interiors for elite clientele.
Sormeh and her mother Paiman have teamed up to form LA interior design firm Sormeh Lifestyle, in which she puts to expert use that aforementioned experience in conjunction with mom's extensive traveling background. Together the two have developed a signature "Modern Ancient" style that manages to be clean yet eclectic, and luxe yet lived-in. Perhaps that's why Silicon Valley's top execs count on the ladies to revamp their personal and work spaces.
The Salimpours's latest design endeavor is a sumptuous loft space in DTLA, and after taking a peek at the new digs we just had to ask the super-savvy women for a few basic tips on how non-celebs (like our humble selves) can still score star-worthy style. Read on to see their best advice for creating your very own enviable space.
1. Your Glamorous Story. Collecting and using beautiful art or black-and-white photographs—new or vintage—is the perfect way to decorate your walls. Your home can act as your life journal, reflecting your interests and passions of your everyday life. Items that speak of who you are and where you have been tell a story that makes your living space unique to you - and that in itself is glamorous.
2. Fabrics and Texture. Aim for luxury fabrics such as linen and velvet; the movement and feel in these fabrics is an experience in itself. What feels good looks good!
3. Luxe Accessories and Customization. Monogram to personalize your towels, sheets, and even furniture. Customization in the smallest degree gives you an elegant look at a low cost.
4. Be Bold—Add That Pop of Color. Color brings energy and light to any room. Even one item in a daring color is enough to draw the eye in. Do not be afraid to go bold.
5. The Suite Life. When you walk through the doors of your bedroom, it should transport you to a place where luxury, fantasy, and serenity co-exist. Create a place to sit and reflect. A place where everything touched is soft and cozy yet luxurious, bringing out the celebrity in each of us. Invest in a four-post bed with silk drapes; a chaise; a bench at the end of your bed. Aim for drama.
*A rep for Monica Rose tells us that Salimpour only assisted her for "a few months many years ago."