Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
We have to admit, there's something especially romantic about the old-school types of beauty regimens; like when your grandma tells you she has kept her elbows soft all these years by rubbing them with lemon halves or her face alarmingly wrinkle-free because she used to slather it with pure olive oil. That's probably the reason why we're so enamored Whole Foods Market's extensive beauty department, which is chock-full of wholesome goodies that use natural and often organic ingredients to care for your body, face, and hair.
Given that Whole Body is one of the retailer's most successful divisions, there's an overwhelming list of beauty products to try. To give us a starting point, we recently toured Whole Foods Market Glendale with Whole Body's PR rep Janette Rizk, who gave us the scoop on some of the shop's bestselling beautification game-changers.
1. Mineral Fusion Lengthening Mascara in Graphite ($14.99): Perfect for sensitive eyes, the gentle, mineral formulation defines and lengthens lashes without giving them that dreaded tarantula-esque coating.
2. Mineral Fusion Pressed Powder Foundation ($29.99): Ideal for normal to oily skin types, this powder foundation can build from light to full coverage and banishes irritation with aloe, cucumber, and licorice root which baby and soothe the skin. The minerals also provide natural sun protection and ingredients like pomegranate and both red and white teas have anti-aging properties.
3. Dr. Bronners Peppermint Soap ($9.99): Our go-to on hot summer days, this classic, ultra foaming liquid soap cools instantly with peppermint essential oil and utilizes tons of organic oils including coconut and olive to keep skin from feeling stripped of moisture after cleansing.
4. Good Soap ($2.99): Fair traded ingredients like shea butter and coconut oil mean both your bod and your conscious will be feeling good after this moisturizing bar soap.
5. Soaptopia artisan bulk soap ($6.95): This regional best seller is packed with organic moisturizing and essential oils, plus it's made with love by hand in small batches in our very own Mar Vista, California.
6. 365 Every Value Max Moisture Lotion ($6.95): Everyday value indeed! We love that this moisturizer is light and natural in fragrance, quenches our dry skin thirst with macadamia oil and shea butter. Plus, the price is unbeatable.
7. Shikai Borage Lotion ($8.99): This is a godsend for dry/sensitive skin types since it boasts fatty acid-rich borage seed oil, known for treating eczema and conquering inflammation.
8. Toms of Maine Unscented Deodorant ($4.99): We love practically every Tom's product, but are partial to this aluminum-free deodorant that uses zinc to keep odor in check without adding perfume-y fragrance.
9. Acure Argan Oil ($14.99 for 2 oz.): This multi-purpose oil is a supreme skin treatment for scars, stretch marks, or simply in prevention of fine lines. It's light texture makes is especially great for use on the face since it means quick absorption without leaving greasiness behind.
10. EO Organic Lavender Hand Sanitizer Spray ($3.99): This isn't your chemical, loaded-with-alcohol, strongly-scented hand sanitizer of yesteryear. EO's plant-based version uses both the fragrance and natural antibacterial properties of organic lavender essential oil to conquer germ-y hands.
11. Thayers Witch Hazel Rose Toner ($9.99): If the old fashioned, classically pretty packaging wasn't already enough for us, we're sold on the softening Vitamin E and rose petal water that lets this toner lift debris from the skin's surface without taking it's moisture along with it.
12. Mychelle Supreme Polypeptide Cream ($54.99): Pea peptide and a rainbow of moisturizing oils like coconut, olive, mango seed, and black currant seed fight signs of aging by increasing cell turnover while leaving it smooth and hydrated.
13. Acure Brightening Scrub ($14.99): Like an at-home dermabrasion, the sea kelp in this scrub provides extremely fine, yet effective exfoliation as the French green clay helps suck impurities out. Regular use also aids in de-pigmentation so this product is especially on-point for those with age spots or melasma.
14. Zatik Organic Pomegranate Eyebright Eye & Face Serum ($30.00): We don't know about you but, some mornings our eyes are carrying major baggage. This serum minimizes that puffiness with pomegranate extract and keeps the delicate eye area smooth and plump with Argan oil.
15. Whole Foods Market Peppermint Lip Balm ($1.99): Slick on this stick with a trifecta of soothing shea, cupuacau, and cocoa butter to keep lips feeling smooth and protected. And the peppermint essential oil keeps you feeling plumped and minty fresh to boot!
16. Naturtint Hair Color (N Series) ($17.99): For once you can enjoy your at-home hair dye experience since this botanically based color contains no ammonia or parabens. Instead of feeling like you're harming your tresses, you'll feel like you're pampering them.
17. Everyday Shea Baby Shampoo & Body Wash ($9.99): This super-gentle wash that soothes with lemon balm and lavender and it's intoxicating scent will have you envious of baby's bath-time. Good thing you can use it, too!
18. Mineral Fusion Nail Polish, Top Coat ($7.99): This line of polishes is without harmful ingredients like formaldehyde and dibutyl phthalate which means it's mindful about the health of your nails. All the while, it provides long-wearing shine and protection.