Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Unless you're new to Los Angeles, you know all about Erewhon Natural Foods Market—our city's go-to for local organic groceries and wellness essentials. In addition to attracting LA's coolest mystic hippies and celebrities that include Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, Rachel Bilson, and all of the Kardashians, Erewhon is also known for its secret stash of game-changing, hard-to-find natural beauty products.
To help you navigate Erewhon's maze of amazingness, we've rounded up the market's most popular face, body, and hair buys that have a serious cult following. Enjoy, swing by Erewhon's Beverly Boulevard and Calabasas locations soon, and stay tuned for more on that highly-anticipated Venice space.
1. Gemstone Organic Hydrosol ($21.99): This is as California as it gets. Based in Venice, Gemstone Organic's signature "Gem Juice" is a unique blend of hydrosols from native trees, enhanced with essential oil. Set to become your new favorite toner, this healing potion is anti-inflammatory, energizing, and stress-relieving.
Bonus: each two-ounce bottle comes with actual amethyst crystals inside of it, which are apparently very balancing for the mind, body, and spirit.
2. Prada Lab Energized Volcanic Ash Hydrating Facial Cleanser ($29.99): Not to be confused with the iconic Italian fashion house, Prada Lab is a 100% raw and natural skincare line that is creating big buzz in the organic beauty community for this cleanser's patent-pending magnetic mixer. Suitable for all skin types, ingredients include volcanic ash (an anti-aging clay favored by Cleopatra), honey (moisturizes), organic dates (decreases wrinkles), Myrrh (decreases inflammation), and fennel (antiseptic).
Fun fact: the chemist behind the line, Tony Prada, is an Erewhon regular and hangs at the Beverly location at least twice a week.
3. AnneMarie Borlind Aquanature Hyaluronate Moisturizing Cream ($58.99): Meant to target dry, mature skin, this anti-aging cream is incredibly moisturizing yet light. It's a must-try for rebalancing the skin, especially this fall.
4. iSun Phyto-Infusion I ($105.49): Also great for LA skin is this serum, which is meant to combat sun damage. Given the hefty price tag, it's an investment for those looking for a serious age-revitalizing serum that gets the job done. Effective ingredients include stem cells cultured from citrus and two plants: Enteromorpha compressa and Caesalpina spinosa gum.
5. Royal Sense Feel Better Now Bulgarian Rose Water ($17.99): This spray is great to spritz on your face and body after a shower or when you need some extra hydration. In addition to balancing the skin's natural oil production, it improves the metabolism, helps fight acne, and decreases redness.
Pro tip: this fresh and calming scent doubles as a room air freshener!
6. Super Salve Coconut Cream ($17.99): For less than $20 you can have the cream that you'll be slathering on for the rest of your life. In addition to offering a dreamy scent that smells good enough to eat (please don't), this silky, non-greasy cream soaks into the skin super fast, offering much-needed hydration in this dry climate.
7. Ancient Minerals Magnesium Bath Flakes ($13.49): Erewhon tells us that a lot of athletes use this product, as magnesium is great for muscle tissue reparation. Good for one to two uses, each bag is filled with healing flakes that are ideal for rebalancing the skin barrier.
8. Chandrika Ayurvedic Soap ($1.39): In a sea of mid-range to pricey products, this soap is definitely a bargain. One of the most popular soaps in India, this bar is made up of all-natural essential oils that help prevent acne, rashes, and unpleasant body odor. Chandrika is also big on promoting that their products are 100% cruelty-free and never tested on animals.
9. Pursoma Digital Detox Bath ($33.99): This powder isn't just a body healing must—it's a meditative experience. Featuring French sea salt and clay that draws toxins out like no other, this bath is best paired with an unplugged spirit void of electronic devices. Just make sure to hydrate yourself before use, because it's pretty strong.
10. Simply Divine Botanicals Deodorant ($9.79): If you, too, have been looking for the perfect all-natural deodorant that actually lives up to its claims, meet your match. Simply Divine Botanical's popular spray is made with zinc and silver, which works wonders for scent prevention.
11. Peter Lamas Chinese Herbs Energizing Shampoo ($25.99): Those in the market for a shampoo that promotes thicker, fuller hair should look into this Erewhon favorite, which is made with a paraben-free, therapeutic formula powered by Chinese herbs and natural botanicals.