Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
- Hello Kitty robot, 2004; Photo: Japanese American National Museum
- Hello Kitty vintage telephone, 1976; Photo: Japanese American National Museum
- Play Date by Gary Baseman, 2014
- Eat Cakes, You Kitty by Brandi Milne, 2014
- Hello Kitty x Lady Gaga plush dress, 2009; Photo: Markus + Indrani, styled by GK Reid
- Much Loved Kitty by Mark Nixon, 2014
From a super adorable jet, to an insane sale, to a themed hotel room, it's clear LA just can't get enough of Hello Kitty. As previously mentioned, the beloved character is toasting 40 years of cuteness with a Hello Kitty Convention at
MOCA's Geffen Contemporary next month. In conjunction with the convention, Sanrio is also charming LA with the first-ever Hello Kitty museum retrospective dubbed, Hello! Exploring the Supercute World of Hello Kitty.
Set to invade the Japanese American National Museum (right next door to MOCA) from October 11th through April 26th, 2015, the impossibly cute exhibit explores the charming history of Hello Kitty and her influence on pop culture. Discover rare and unique artifacts from Sanrio archives—think plush dolls, her first telephone, stationery items, and more—which will be featured alongside contemporary artworks like Lady Gaga's one-of-a-kind Hello Kitty dress. In addition, super fans can also learn more about the global icon during workshops, lectures, and panel discussions held at the museum during the exhibit's run.
Excited? Good news for Hello Kitty Con ticket holders: Same-day admission to the exhibit is included with your convention ticket. For non-con attendees, tickets are $20 for adults and $10 for youngsters ages 6-17; get them here.
· Sanrio [Official Site]
· Japanese American National Museum [Official Site]
· OMG: A Hello Kitty Convention is Coming to LA This Fall [Racked]
· Photos! EVA Air's Ridiculously Cute Hello Kitty Jet Lands at LAX [Racked]