Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
While the 2014 MTV Video Music Awards were sprinkled with underwear masquerading as eveningwear, the 66th Primetime Emmy Awards kept it classy with a range of creative couture numbers modeled by the small screen's biggest stars. Since crowning this red carpet's best-dressed is a job for the pros, we kept our tradition going by enlisting a star stylist—this time the ever-eclectic Elshane—to highlight five of the best.
1. Julia Roberts in Elie Saab: "Two words: Pretty Woman! She looks bold, sexy and refined."
2. Michelle Dockery in Rosie Assoulin: "This is what fashion is made for! The injection of color on the carpet is genius."
3. Allison Williams in Giambattista Valli: "This look screams couture from head to toe. Best-dressed of the evening!"
4. Lizzy Caplan in Donna Karan Atelier: "The clean lines of this gown are breathtaking. She masters a seasonless look here."
5. Claire Danes in Givenchy Haute Couture: "Red is a consistent player on the Emmys carpet, year after year. Claire proves that you can take the tried-and-true hue and turn it playful and edgy."
· See the 2014 Emmy Awards Red Carpet [Racked Nat'l]
· Celeb Stylist Elshane Is Not Your Traditional, White Dress Bride [Racked]
· Star Stylist Joey Tierney Shares Her Best-Dressed Emmy Picks [Racked]