Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
- Photos via A+D
- Custom-made skateboard by Daniel Ogassian partnering with Ann Sacks. Made of wood, the skateboard has one of Ogassian's designs, the Japane
- Custom-made eco-friendly surfboard by David Hertz Architects. The deck, made in collaboration with Cali-based non-profit charity organization Sust
- Custom-made skateboard by Karim Rashid. The artist collaborated with skateboard company Blank Plank to create Fluke, a unique deck that unites street culture with art via "bright colors radiating fr
- Silent auction item: Gagosian Gallery's Andy Warhol skateboard by Alien Projects, 2010.
- Silent auction item: Artware Editions' Jeff Koons plate, 2012.
- Silent auction item: John Baldessari limited edition beach towel, 2011.
- Silent auction item: l.a. Eyeworks Garza sunglasses.
On Saturday, June 28, A+D Architecture and Design Museum is set to toast 13 years of cutting-edge exhibitions with its annual gala and fundraiser, Celebrate: Groundswell. The art-infused bash, taking place from 7-11pm across from LACMA at 5900 Wilshire Boulevard, is set to feature a surf theme that honors Cali's ever-inspiring beach communities. 2014's party is particularly cool because there are also a handful of fashion-focused items in the mix.
"For every A+D gala, we challenge our design leaders to venture out of their comfort zone; creating a wearable item, their ultimate carry-on, or this year, a surf-inspired pièce de résistance!" Museum director Tibbie Dunbar explains.
See below for a peek at some of the locally and globally-designed surfboards, boogie boards and skateboards custom-made for the event, as well as four iconic pieces that can be found in the silent auction. (Spoiler alert: there's a pair of rad l.a. Eyeworks sunnies involved.)
Want more? Check out last year's festivities here and buy your tix for this year's gala here.
· Architecture+Design Museum 2014 Gala [Official Site]
· How California Has Become the Fashion World's Greatest Muse [Racked]