Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
- Photo by Dominic James First things first: the polo game. The U.S.'s Will Rogers Polo club (which included the club's own president, Andrew Bossom) joined forces with patronage from Royal Salute, playing against the
- Royal Salute Scotch Whisky ambassador the Duke of Argyll (center) with actress Talulah Riley and Elon Musk. Wonder if that was awkward? Photo by D
- Katharine O'Brien in a vintage hat from What Goes Around Comes Around, an Isabel Marant dress, Fendi heels and a Chanel bag.
- Nicole Simone in a vintage dress, Liz Goldwyn in vintage Dior.
- Valerie von Sobel in Project Runway finalist Jerell Scott.
- Skye Marshall and Josette Eales, both in Terrence Bray.
- Rick Edwards, who tells us he's the "Master of Scotch for Royal Salute."
- Stylish guest William Maier.
- Karen Lin in a Haute Hippie dress, Fendi sunglasses and Alexis Bittar earrings; Kathy Wong in a vintage fascinator, BCBG dress, Chanel necklace and Michael Kors shoes.
- Lauren Storm in a Forever 21 dress and Chinese Laundry heels; Zachary Hopkins in J. Crew.
- Jin Yu, David Lee with his furry pal, and a random new pal who got roped into taking this photo.
- This gent stayed cool under one of the Royal Salute parasols given out to guests.
- Of course, a tea table! The classic English sipping and snacking experience was created by LA-based Charles & Company.
- Photo by Dominic James Kitty Galsworthy, third from left, was awarded best-dressed guest of the event by Brit designer Zaeem Jamal.
- Photo by Dominic James Oh, and polo on bicycles also happened.
- Photo by Dominic James The polo players with the Duke of Argyll, Lord Frederick Windsor and Sophie Winkleman.
If the Veuve Clicquot Polo Classic is the equestrian event for the fashion set, then yesterday's VVVIP-filled affair was for the uppitiest of the upper class on the turnt up scale. This past Saturday, stylish lords and ladies (our host The Duke of Argyll, event hosts Lord Frederick Windsor and wife/actress Sophie Winkleman), socialites (actress Talulah Riley), and millionaires and billionaires from both sides of the pond (tech supergenius Elon Musk, indie film backer Cassian Elwes, to name a few) gathered in the Pacific Palisades for the inaugural British Polo Day at Will Rogers State Historic Park.
Indeed, the high-class affair was a true toast to the luxe lifestyle, but it wasn't all just tea time, thrilling chukkas, fancy party dresses and, in the witty words of the event's clever commentators, a "general backdrop of privileged people." In addition to treating its elite English and Yankee guests to fine food, equine entertainment and top-shelf sips (Royal Salute Scotch Whisky and Taittinger bubbly, to name a few), the philanthropic afternoon also raised some serious cash for the Great Ormond Street Hospital and LA's own Homeboy Industries.
Of course, the afternoon offered a wealth of well-dressed pitch-side partygoers—check out some of the stylish spectators and more snaps from the event after the jump.
· British Polo Day [Official Site]
· Supermodels and Starlets Hit LA's Veuve Clicquot Polo Classic [Racked]
· Three LA Boutiques Show Us Their Best British Polo Day Looks [Racked]