Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
As expected, last night's #GIRLBOSS book-signing at The Grove was sheer, Cronut-like pandemonium. By 6pm, a stampede of sassy-dressed superfans infiltrated Barnes & Noble, eagerly awaiting the arrival of author/Nasty Gal founder Sophia Amoruso and her celebrity interviewer: Nicole Richie.
At around 7:20pm, Amoruso (wearing a sheer black top with a flowing white skirt) and Richie (wearing a Balmain statement sweater with Blank NYC skinny jeans and gold Loubs) were met with roaring applause as they took the stage. "I brought cue cards because I'm very serious," said the purple-coiffed Candidly Nicole star, immediately putting on her best Barbara Walters face. While the Q&A was similar to Amoruso's Lucky FABB appearance last month, the chat felt fresh with the addition of Richie's hilarious commentary. Example: When Amoruso discussed her days of dumpster diving and shoplifting, Richie exclaimed, "That's the lesson for the day, kids: you can be a good person and a thief!"
Additional takeaways: Amoruso explains that the Nasty Gal look is always evolving, but staple items include a motorcycle jacket, black boots and a white lace dress; her favorite fashion era is the '70s (Richie agreed); she started her online business because she was terrified of people; her first mentor was Dana Fried of Taryn Rose shoes; her company has a "no assholes" policy and she has no problem firing jerks on the spot; and social media is her secret to success.
As for company news, those highly-anticipated LA stores are in the works and Nasty Gal home goods are coming soon. Catch some more event snaps below.
- We're here!
- Although the event was on the third floor, the space filled up so fast that a handful of wristbanded guests were sent to the second floor to watch via live video.
- Superfans getting snapped at the book cover photo booth.
- Lucky front-rowers reading their copy of #GIRLBOSS while they wait.
- The packed house.
- Nicole's epic Balmain sweater.
· What to Know About Today's #GIRLBOSS Launch at The Grove [Racked]
· Sophia Amoruso Brings #GIRLBOSS to The Grove Next Month [Racked]
· Lucky FABB Highlights: Nicole Goes Green, Sophia Frees #Bossy [Racked]