Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
As demonstrated by Penelope Cruz at this year's Oscars and Miranda Kerr at Paris Fashion Week, sustainable fashion has finally made the transition from granola to glamour. The days of bland hues, hemp fabrics and potato sack silhouettes are far behind us, and H&M is to thank for that much-needed shift. Last night, the Swedish retailer selected LA for the star-studded launch of their third Conscious Exclusive collection, a collaboration with super-cool, like-minded publication Ever Manifesto. The limited-edition, fest-ready range officially hits stores on April 10—just in time for Coachella.
"It made perfect sense for us to kick off the collection in LA," explains Catarina Midby, Head of Design for H&M Conscious Collection. "The eco-friendly lifestyle here aligns with our initiatives. In fact, the reason we created the first Conscious Collection was because more and more celebrities were asking for stylish sustainable clothing. We knew we had an opportunity to influence Hollywood and prove that you can wear something great for the environment without compromising taste."
As seen last night, A-listers like bubbly-loving Kate Mara (wearing a ruffle-shouldered top), Sophia Bush (wearing a lace dress with a shoulder necklace made of recycled plastic) and campaign star Amber Valletta (wearing a vegetable-tanned leather bustier top with wide-leg pants) are already eating up the flamenco and boho-inspired line.
- Bohemian off-white dress made of 100% organic silk, $199; embellished mules, $149
- Organic cotton voile blouse, $34.95; bonded trousers, $129
- Kimono dress, $69.95, embellished mules, $149
- Ruffle-shouldered top, $49.95
- Long and sheer shirt dress, $149; embellished mules, $149
- Shoulder piece made of recycled plastic beads, $149; woven T-shirt made with 100% organic silk, $59.95; organic leather skirt, $199
- Organic cotton embroidered jacket with separate shoulder pieces, $399; sleeveless jumpsuit, $69.95
- Short dress/tunic, $59.95; city shorts, $49.95
- Lace A-line dress, $249; shoulder piece made of recycled plastic beads, $149
- Embroidered blazer, $149; sleeveless jumpsuit, $69.95; embellished mules, $149
- Frilled blouse, $49.95; high-waisted navy shorts, $49.95
- Headband, $17.95; dark navy organza jacquard dress, $299; embellished mules, $149
- Fitted vest, $69.95
- Vegetable-tanned leather bustier top, $129; Palazzo pant, $49.95
- Headband, $17.95; fitted jumpsuit (pricing TBD); flat organic leather shoes, $99
- Dark navy jacket made of 100% organic cotton, $99; Palazzo pant, $49.95
- 100% organic cotton off-the-shoulder lace top, $59.95; bonded trousers, $129; embellished mules, $149
- Top with pleated layers, $49.95; bonded trousers, $129
- Flamenco-inspired dress made of 100% recycled polyester crêpe, $149
- Lace dress with T-shirt body, $549; flat organic leather shoes, $99
To accompany the collection, Ever Manifesto's London-based founders Alexia Niedzielski and Elizabeth von Guttman (side note: check out Elizabeth's rad closet) produced a brilliant 60-page portfolio called Ever Conscious. "It includes a collection of people that inspire us in all different fields to show that no matter who you are, there's a way to be more responsible," explains Niedzielski. Everyone from hat lover Pharrell Williams to LA-based anti-plastic militant Dianna Cohen are featured in the issue.
After we fawned over both the collection and magazine, Niedzielski and von Guttman indulged us with more West Coast praise. "We wanted to launch here—there was no question about it," says von Guttman. "Besides having non-stop sunshine and full access to celebrities, LA is much more conscious than other cities. It's a great lifestyle. The local fashion is impressive, too. LA is really having a moment; we hope to do more here soon."
The H&M Conscious Exclusive collection will be available in 150 H&M stores worldwide and online on Thursday, April 10.
· H&M [Official Site]
· Ever Manifesto [Official Site]
· Kate Mara and More Stars Reveal Their Pre-Red Carpet Rituals [Racked]