Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
- "This has to be the quintessential pair of Oscar earrings [by Farah Khan]. On camera, all of those blue stones will actually read like diamonds."
- Though O'Connor says he's never had a no-show come return day, there have been some close calls. "One very famous actress returned all of the pieces except for one, and she didn't realize that she still had the piece in her hair when got on a flight to go
- "I love the mix of color here, the blue and the green together—this is by designer John Ford for the AGTA Collection."
- This necklace designed by Richard Berberian of Elyse Fine Jewelers features multi-color sapphires, white sapphires and round diamonds, clocking in at a cool 57 carats.
- This Faran Kahn bracelet boats 77 carats of emeralds, ruby and diamonds worth $50,750.
- Okay, now tell us about the drama! "Sometimes I do private appointments, and I had two actresses who had come, one was a little late and one was a little early, so they were overlapped. One of them couldn't make up her mind on what she was do
- So were they arguing over who had the bigger star power? "That is actually the words that one of them said." We want to know more! I'll be shot if I tell you! but that's exactly what somebody said, they were here with
- Let's talk red carpet predictions. Who are you looking forward to seeing? "Lupita [Nyong'o] is the 'It' girl this entire seaso
- And who else? "Obviously we know people like Judi Dench will go a little bit more on the classic side. Amy Adams, she usually does that old Hollywood Glamour [...] she's somebody who does glamour well. And Kate Blanchett [is always ]really really
If driving a brand-new set of wheels off the lot is enough make us watch our every move, we can't imagine what it's like to wear thousands of dollars worth of diamonds for the sake of a little Hollywood affair that rhymes with Schmoscars. The chance to see inside a VIP jewelry suite has become somewhat of a rite of passage for many starlets, whose rising star meters (and presumably, bigger bank accounts) invite all sorts of fancy opportunities—such as being entrusted to show off expensive gems on their décolletages.
Once again, StyleLab and celebrity stylist Michael O'Connor took over a very hush-hush Beverly Hills location for their Oscars jewelry lounge and of course, we jump at any excuse to gawk at incredibly sparkly gems worth more than our annual salary. But first, a question: What does it take to borrow these pricey accoutrements? Apparently, stars are just one insurance waiver away from renting out their uberluxe adornments, StyleLab tells us. Once they sign a little dotted line, celebs are totally responsible for any lost or damaged merch—which could cost them a very pretty penny if any harm comes to the precious jewels. Who knew it was that easy?
O'Connor tells us while he's never had a no-show come Monday ("knock on wood!"), when the borrowed bijoux are usually due, he does have a few funny stories to share. After the jump, see more dazzling trinkets, plus read the tale of a forgetful actress and the time when two stars came head-to-head over a piece of jewelry.
· All Awards Season Posts [Racked]
· Celebs, Gold, Gems: Inside A Golden Globes VIP Jewelry Suite [Racked]
· >Andaz Hotel's Oscar Gifting Suite: Bali Vacays, LED Manis, More [Racked]
· Sexy Blowouts, Scientific Bites: SLS Hotel's Oscar Beauty Lounge [Racked]