Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
With 2015 just around the corner, we're taking a look back at LA's retail and fashion scene over the last 15 years. While our Year in Racked highlights the best of 2014, Five Years in Fashion focuses on the years 2000, 2005, 2010, and what's to come for 2015. Let's take a jog through memory lane, shall we?
Sidekick-powered socialite Paris Hilton at Kitson in 2005. All images via FameFlynet
What a difference five years makes. In 2005, online gossip rag TMZ brought celebrity street style to the tech-savvy masses—ushering the rise of Juicy Couture's bejeweled tracksuits as seen on the paparazzi-stalked LA party girl set (Paris Hilton and Linday Lohan, to name a few), flower child chic via style stars like Nicole Richie and boho-Brit actress Sienna Miller, and cowboy boots as acceptable footwear for fashion folk. That year, teen drama series The O.C.—then in its third season—fully cemented Cali style and In-N-Out in pop culture history (and made Chino out to be pretty much Compton). Oh, and remember the Sidekick?
A frequent backdrop for the flashbulbs was West Hollywood's Robertson Boulevard, where sporty-luxe brand Tory Burch opened that spring and trendy LA retailer Kitson (which was founded Fraser Ross five years earlier) was enjoying its rep as a celeb hot spot. Although the stylish shopping stretch fell on hard times between then and now, we're happy to report that the block is getting its buzz back, thanks to brands like The Fisher Project, The Kooples, and more. Up ahead, see more celebs-in-headlights shots on Robertson and share your best (or worst) memories of shopping in 2005 in the comments.
Kitson founder (and NBC nemesis) Ross recounts that year's bestsellers. "Over-priced, premium denim, embellished tees, Ed Hardy, trucker hats, and the more rhinestones the better," he tells us. "Celebs would come into Kitson in one outfit and leave in another while paparazzi snapped away."
- Lindsay Lohan and pals during a Robertson shopping spree, shortly before her expensive car collided into an Astrovan.
- Desperate Housewives star Eva Longoria shops at Kitson.
- Courtney Love and daughter Frances Bean during a Robertson shopping stroll that involved Kitson, Curve, and the now-shuttered Nanette Lepore boutique.
- Pre-breakdown Amanda Bynes hit up Diavolina on Robertson. We're glad to hear that the lavender-tressed star is
- Rose McGowan and a friend after shopping at Tory Burch and Curve on Robertson Boulevard.
- Oversized belt worn at the hips: check. Frayed denim shorts: check. Leggings: check. Massive Jackie O. sunglasses: CHECK. This was Kimberly Stewart's and everyone else's fashion checklist in 2005.
- Jennifer Lopez after shopping for sunnies on Robertson.
· All Five Years in Fashion Posts [Racked]
· Madison's Founders On How LA Dressed in the Year 2000 [Racked]