Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Malibu Country Mart may have lost a beloved indie bookshop, but it's scoring another friendly tome-filled boutique in its place. As mentioned, non-cheesy souvenir and gift shop Burro (formerly Firefly) took over Diesel's vacated space, which reopened its doors yesterday.
Filled with "novelty items and artisan goods for 'independent thinkers,'" the boutique offers curated selection of stylish and whimsical merch from a host of labels both local and global. Expect to find jewelry from designer Zoe Chicco and Dogeared, home goods and accessories by Graf & Lantz, leather carryalls by Baggu, plus books, stationery, art, children's clothing and toys, vintage decor, and much more. After the original location on Abbot Kinney, the Malibu shop is Burro's second LA store, with a third outpost at Westlake Village Plaza is slated to open next February.
Burro at Malibu Country Mart is open daily from 11am to 6pm.
· Burro [Official Site]
· Malibu Country Mart [Official Site]
· Malibu Country Mart's Diesel Bookstore is Closing This Fall [Racked]
· Storecasting: Firefly's Spreading Its Wings, Bigger Boutique [Racked]
· Venice's Renamed Burro Shop is Trotting to Malibu & Westlake [Racked]
· Where Lisa Adams Shops on Abbot Kinney For Home Accessories [Racked]