Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
- Jahmelia Lindsay as Vermeer's Girl with a Pearl Earring
- Costume Ball partygoers Tristan Blaine and David Padilla as Andy Warhol and Marilyn Monroe.
- Jeff Defazio and Jennifer Mackey bring Diego Rivera's "The Flower Carrier" to life.
- Tom Cavanaugh as Amedeo Modigliani's portrait of Paul Guillaume.
- Aaron Sheppard as zombie Jesus with Sylva Hattington and Deborah Spangler-Welch as creepy-chic creatures.
- Lucas McGregor braves the rain to pose with his costume's inspiration, LACMA's own "Penetrable" by Jesús Rafael Soto.
- Edward Gorey-inspired Victorians Peggy Casey, David Hartwell, and Ruby Straehley.
- David Bischke as Vincent Van Gogh.
- Lici and Bruce Dennings as Roy Lichtenstein characters.
- Rachael Sterling channels The Louvre.
- Brian Allgeier's DIY Nosferatu costume scored the top prize during the stylish soiree's costume contest.
- Jay Sparich as Banksy's "Smiley Riot Cop."
The theme of LACMA's 11th annual Halloween Costume Ball last Friday was the "Living Museum," and partygoers definitely did not disappoint in the dress-up department. Just like past bashes, the spooky soiree included creepy interactive performance art by Zombie Joe's Underground Theatre, plus live music by Oneohtrix Point Never and Thug Entrancer.
In addition to treating stylish revelers to after-hours art and special entry to the museum's Haunted Screens exhibit, the event also challenged guests to wear their very best art-inspired looks. Hollywood Costume exhibit curator Deborah Nadoolman Landis and fellow award-winning costume designers Deborah L. Scott and Crisi Karvonides judged the contest, which put guests dressed as The Louvre and one of LACMA's own works of art head-to-head. Below, see a few of our faves and find out who scored the trophy for the best get-up.
· LACMA [Official Site]
· 10+ Stylish & Spooky Halloween Parties to Hit Up in LA [Racked]
· 25+ Incredible Costumes Spotted at LACMA's Epic Muse Ball [Racked]
· 20+ Spectular Snaps from Hollywood Costume's LA Exhibit [Racked]