Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Welcome to Racked's Pet Week: five days' worth of coverage for LA's most stylish furry friends.
- Images via Moo Shoes
- In between protecting the inventory from any would-be shoe thieves and cats, Wrigley enjoys relaxing on his doggie bed, posing with the "store cat" Roger, and charming shoppers with his underbite.
- "He likes to chase his tail—often on command—and he always folds his paws under when he lays down in this really awkward way," Laura says. "Sounds odd, but it's really cute."
- Owen is a true people pleaser, Farmer tells us. "He loves people who love him, so his favorite things to do is run up and greet any new customer as soon as they open the front door." Face-licking and high-pitched, excited whining are just a few ways the e
- In addition, Owen has an uncanny ability to sniff out tofu or tempeh as soon as it's opened. "It's kinda eerie," Farmer says. And despite being a peppy force of nature, Owen is also patient younger brother to his older feline sister. He's always a good sp
New Silver Lake boutique Moo Shoes isn't just a haven for cruelty-free footwear and accessories—animal lovers will be happy to know that it's also a cool hangout for LA's most adorable shoe-obsessed security guards. Approximately three-year-old Owen Prescott Hamilton III (or you can just call him "Owen") is the Eastside shop's enthusiastic greeter, while two-year-old Wrigley brings the chill factor to the store.
Moo Shoes's husband-and-wife owners Katie Frichtel and Troy Farmer met Owen two years ago on New Year's Eve and fell in love immediately. "We're not usually great with spontaneity," Farmer tells us, but after seeing a friend's Facebook post about an adorable Golden Retriever mix up for adoption, "he seemed perfect." On January 1, 2013, Owen came home to the couple and their 14-year-old cat, Allister. Store employee Laura also unexpectedly adopted her Chihuahua, Wrigley, after warning a good-natured Craigslister on the dangers of listing free pets online. "I was looking for furniture, not dogs," she says,"[but then it] turned into me adopting Wrigley."
· Moo Shoes LA [Official Site]
· All Pet Week 2014 Posts [Racked]
· Vita at Individual Medley Is Obsessed with Fruit and Kale [Racked]
· Moo Shoes' Chic Vegan Wares Now Available in Silver Lake [Racked]