Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
- Images via Made for Pearl
- What inspired you to create Made for Pearl? After I had my first son I had a conversation with my dad about getting a bit more involved with things going on with the Joplin Estate. This was the first time I had given serious thought on what m
- What are some of the mementos or stories about Janis that you've connected with the most? I always love hearing family stories, the ones where Janis was young and things they would all do as a family. However the stories of how Jani
- Growing up, what were your reactions to hearing stories about such a legendary force in your family? As I have gotten older I have gained more understanding for the way her life turned out and love that I get to be close to her ever
Though our city has produced plenty of bohemian-cool labels that pay homage to hippie history, local label Made for Pearl is the ultimate epitome of '60s psych-rock style. The Venice-based brand was founded by Malyn Joplin—you may be familiar with her famous family member, husky-voiced music legend Janis Joplin. Sadly, the "seismic" singer joined the 27 Club in October of 1970, but her soul, songs, and style continue to inspire generations of boho babes through the one-year-old label.
"I experienced a lot of confusion growing up," Malyn tells us. "I wanted to know more about Janis but often got angry that so many people had a connection to her; I didn't get a chance to have that personally." Now in its third season, Made for Pearl ("Pearl" was Janis's nickname) is the younger Joplin's tribute to her iconic aunt, and the brand's set to launch its holiday collection this week. Comprised of jewel-toned basic tops, crushed velvet bell-bottoms, brocade shift dresses, paisley-print kimonos and more ($154 to $638), the line is a vision of what Janis might've worn if she lived out her days, Malyn tells us.
Up ahead, take a peek at more pieces from the soon-to-drop range and get to know Made for Pearl's founder below.
· Made for Pearl [Official Site]