Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
- Attendee Kristen Kelly shows off her Hello Kitty devotion.
- Goth Lolita Alexandra Bowersox.
- Malina Huang gets inked by Cali-based tattoo artist Jeffery Page.
- Even Sanrio's Senior Vice President, Ken Yamamoto, professed his love for Hello Kitty with a (temporary) tat.
- Convention attendee Chris Sullivan sweetens up his spooky costume with a tutu.
- No, she's not a Mario x Hello Kitty mashup. Attendee Carolyn Molina dressed up as the OG Hello Kitty, complete with blue overalls.
- Attendees Taryn Ka; iulani and Jamie Frey.
- Attendee Brandee Amore handmade her entire costume.
- A giant version of the first-ever Hello Kitty product: a vinyl coin purse from 1975.
- Official Hello Kitty Spam Musubi kits.
- We loved matching mom-and-daughter duo Julia and Brandy Rollo.
- Young fans meet their idol.
- LA's Poketo set up shop with exclusive merch at the Super Supermarket.
- Attendees Kristine Smith and Naomi Wilson twinning it.
- Stylish trio Eric, Laurie, and Alicia.
- Tommy Moreno, aka Mr. Hello Kity Boy, brightened up the scene.
- Badtz Maru (aka Anthony Trujillo) made an appearance.
- Angelina Serbian's and Sylva Hattington's costumes were a scary twist on the cute character.
- Serious retail therapy at the Hello Kitty Friendship Station pop-up shop.
- The convention featured an entire mini-house decked out in all Hello Kitty everything.
- JapanLA's exclusive Hello Kitty x The Simpsons designs.
- Hello Kitty made from Mega Bloks.
- Throwback merch at the Vintage Village.
- We dig this mid-century modern Hello Kitty set-up.
- The Hello Kitty Cafe doled out sweet treats, like cake pops, macarons, and more.
- Chrissa Sparkles and Bebe Le were among the kaleidoscopically-dressed attendees.
- Dylan's Candy Bar created adorable sweets, like these crisped rice treats.
- The convention gave superfans a sneak peek at the Supercute Friendship Festival, set to tour the US starting May 2015.
- JapanLA's Stephiee Nguyen curated this Hello Kitty-inspired cosplay fashion exhibit.
- Throughout the day, Sanrio's official gift givers handed out free tattoos. Here they are resting their feet after a hard day's work.
- We couldn't contain ourselves when this Hello Kitty buss rolled up.
- Katy Perry stopped by the last hour of the convention to get a Hello Kitty tattoo on her finger. That's Hello Kitty designer Yko Yamaguchi behind her in the sunnies! [Photo by Thania Peck of Catcher in the Style<
Surviving a Hello Kitty blowout is one thing, but experiencing Hello Kitty Con takes Sanrio superfandom to whole other level. Yesterday, the four-day convention kicked off at MOCA's Geffen Contemporary in Little Tokyo, where 25K attendees are expected pay homage to the iconic (and apparently English) animated girl over the weekend.
In addition to transforming the museum into a massive pop-up marketplace, the incredibly cute convention also housed a tattoo parlor offering free permanent ink by world-renowned tattoo artists. (Even Katy Perry stopped by for fresh ink.) Ahead, see all the Hello Kitty-inspired looks—from spooky to super-kawaii—and more scenes from inside the first day of the fest.
· Hello Kitty Con [Official Site]
· 20 + Photos: Inside the Supercute World of Hello Kitty [Racked]
· OMG: A Hello Kitty Convention is Coming to LA This Fall [Racked]
· 20+ Photos: Inside The Line Hotel's Ultra-Cool Hello Kitty Suite [Racked]