Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Welcome to Racked's Fitness Week: five days of workout coverage, so that you can start your New Year's resolutions off right.
- Image via Cirque School LA
- The BUTIK (1514 17th St): Unleash your inner Amazonian warrior at celebrity trainer Bizzie Gold's Santa Monica fitness
- YOGAqua (4101 Admiralty Way & 3300 Via Lido): What do you get when you cross a surfboard and a beach-loving yogi? Ninety minutes of stand-up paddle boarding and plenty of asanas for the ultimate core workoutR
- Hoopnotica (1700 Ocean Ave): Not even Wham-O's trademarked hip twister is immune to a fitness fad. A hybrid of hula hooping, dance and gymnastics, the workout promises "a simpler way of sweating" via non-stop
- AuraYoga (8608 #A West Sunset Blvd): For those who enjoy rave-like exercise experiences but prefer not to fork out major cash for a trippy dance party at some secluded NorCal ranch, West Holly
- Iobella (507 Wilshire Blvd): No tinfoil hats are required at Santa Monica's new body sha
- Cirque School LA (5640 1/2 Hollywood Blvd) Your childhood dream of running away of the circus just got real, sans the creepy carnies. The same folks behind Reese Witherspoon's and Christoph Waltz' amazin
- Eagle Rock Yacht Club (Various locations): This has nothing to do with skimming the coast and everything to do with the playground pastime of dodgeball, except with grown adults. This non profit org does much
- Slimmons Studio (9306 Civic Center Dr): Two words: Richard Simmons. When he's in town, the patron sight of sequin-filled sweat seshes leads his explosively energetic classes ($12
Remember that post-apocalyptic scene in Waterworld when island inhabitants discover a giant twisty paperclip-like contraption and declare it a "medieval torturing device"? Given our modern era's As-Seen-On-TV weight loss wares, perhaps '90s screenwriters weren't too far off in their predictions of a future where weird workout apparatuses would eventually succumb to the dark corners of the world, like the bottoms of our closets.
All fitness whatchamacallits aside, leave it to LA to concoct equally creative ways for sculpting, toning and all-around body busting. If you're looking to elevate your snooze-worthy exercise game, here are seven unique and wild workouts that are not at all death-defying but totally calorie crushing.
· All Fitness Week 2014 Posts [Racked]
· The WeHo Pilates Studio That Transformed Miley's Body [Racked]
· Iobella Brings Buenos Aires' Body Shaping Craze to Santa Monica [Racked]
· BUTIK Studio Brings Tribal Dance and Sexy Yoga to Santa Monica [Racked]