Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
- Flowy boho frocks are stocked alongside monochrome treasures from Chloé, Comme des Garçons and more.
- The store has been four years in the making, Anessa Woods and her husband Paul Fogt tell us. The couple moved to LA just four months ago from Columbus, Ohio, where they've been running their successful eBay vintage shop for over nine years.
- The 700-square-foot boutique is decked out with Art Deco and Hollywood Regency furniture. All the fixtures were built by hand by Paul. Impressive!
- We fell in love with this gorgeous little black leather handbag. Here's looking at you, Dita Von Teese.
- Bustown Modern got its start as an eBay shop, right around the time Sophia Amoruso's Nasty Gal hit the vintage apparel auction scene. Fun fact: Anessa tells us she and the NG girls "used to email back and forth" to share their business expertise.
- Furs on furs on furs (Don't tell West Hollywood).
- This 1930s display cabinet is stocked with throwback treasures, including fierce statement necklaces, Pierre Cardin leopard-print disco platforms and much more. We're not surprised the husband-and-wife duo were once vintage furniture dealers, too.
- Who will be the proud owner of those insane '70s goat hair boots?
- Don't let this photo fool you: Bustown's seriously spacious dressing room will have you wanting to play dress-up all day. Bring your pals!
Melrose Avenue has scored yet another mecca of pre-loved designer merch. After we were introduced to uber-stylish vintage dealer (and recent LA transplant!) Anessa Woods and her incredible inventory of decades-past treasures last November, we've been patiently awaiting the day that her standout eBay store made its IRL debut. Finally, that day has come: As of last Thursday, women's vintage clothing and accessories boutique Bustown Modern has joined a host of essential vintage shops on the Beverly Grove shopping stretch.
Just a stone's throw from Rachel Zoe haunts like Decades and Resurrection, the 700-square-foot Art Deco-meets-Hollywood Regency space boasts a seriously standout selection of "top shelf and designer vintage" from nearly every famed fashion house, including Prada, Fendi, Dolce & Gabbana and Saint Laurent, plus tons more. Expect to find everything from New Look-era Dior, Swingin' Sixties palazzo jumpsuits, flowy boho dresses, printastic disco frocks, '90s-era Chloé dresses, minimalist cool Comme de Garçons tops and many more unique wares spanning from the last century, all priced from $100 to $5,000.
Tour this future essential store (and presumably soon-to-be celeb stylist stop) and check out more pics after jump.
Bustown Modern is located at 8166 Melrose Ave; hours are Tuesday through Sundays from 11am to 7pm.
· Bustown Modern [Official Site]
· A Day in the Lives of A Current Affair's Vintage Masterminds [Racked]