Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Last year, word surfaced that the fate of multi-tasking design maven Kelly Wearstler's fashion line was uncertain after a string of layoffs. One reader claiming to be a former staffer was quick to confirm the rumors, noting that the interior decorator's read-to-wear line was "not making a profit." After checking in with staff at the designer's Melrose flagship, we've verified the good news and bad news on the future of the LA-based superstar's clothing collection.
The bad news first: After streamlining her design team, Wearstler will indeed do the same for her apparel—staff tells us the line will be narrowed down to just jackets, denim and basics, as evidenced by the pared-down offerings at both her online and brick-and-mortar boutiques. The good news? Wearstler will shift her focus on expanding her jewelry collection. We'll take that.
· Kelly Wearstler [Official Site]
· Is Kelly Wearstler's Fashion Line Shuttering? [Racked]
· First Look: Wild Vintage Jewelry Pops Up at Kelly Wearstler [Racked]
· 6 Things To Know About Multitasking Designer Kelly Wearstler [Racked]
· Behind the Walls of Kelly Wearstler's Ultramodern Design Studio [Racked]