It's the end of an era. For nearly a decade, LA cool girl Mitra Khayyam has been at the helm of Blood is the New Black, an art-driven clothing company she founded at the age of 23. Everyone from Britney Spears to Space 15 Twenty have been superfans of her trippy tees, which is why we're bummed to learn that she's handing over the brand to someone else.
BITNB's new licensees are Ashley Haber (of SpiritHoods), Joshua Fischer (formerly of Android Homme) and Tova Chesnin (formerly of Butterfly Dropout). Although Khayyam will no longer be in the mix, she has high hopes for her brainchild's new chapter. "The folks licensing the brand are great and really genuinely excited, so it feels good to see [the brand] go to a good home. Kinda like that cute baby kitten you want to keep but can't."
She adds that the new team will continue to focus on bringing designs from a network of independent artists, so look out for new merch. Want more Mitra? Check out what she's been brewing over at Midnight Rider, a passion project she started in 2012.
· Bloods is the New Black [Official Site]
· Watch Blood is the New Black's Trippy Fall Campaign Vid [Racked]
· Where Blood is The New Black's Mitra Khayyam Buys Records [Racked]
· Blood is the New Black Pops Up at Space 15 Twenty Next Friday [Racked]
· Britney Spears Wears Blood is the New Black; More Gatsby Looks [Racked]