Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
- James Franco chilling in his cemetery crib.
- Interior designer Matthew Lanphier's sketches.
- Look closely to see a portrait of Jeff Koons' creepy Michael Jackson and Bubbles sculpture.
- It wouldn't be a Franco pop-up without some scholarly touches.
- The space is surrounded by placards printed with quotes from 32 of Franco's favorite literary heroes.
James Franco is back at Hollywood Forever Cemetery. Following his half-naked 7 For All Mankind shoot at the iconic resting place, the actor/artist has teamed up with Airbnb to design an experimental pop-up for the vacation rental company's celebrity-driven Hello LA campaign. In true Franco fashion, the concept space is filled with artsy irony.
Dreamed up by the Spring Breakers star and designed by interior pro Matthew Lanphier, the one bedroom crib's main draw is a "paint-by-numbers"-inspired backdrop scribbled with the social media-favored "YOLO" acronym, which stands for "you only live once." (They're at a cemetery, get it?)
Other tongue-in-cheek nods to the afterlife include stuffed crows, a framed portrait of Jeff Koons' infamous Michael Jackson sculpture, and a makeshift mausoleum that features 32 placards with quotes from Franco's favorite authors.
If you were hoping to rent Franco's temporary home, you're sadly out of luck. The one-day-only event was held this past Friday, where one winner was awarded a night's stay at the space. Scouted reveals that the lucky gal was a reality TV producer "who wrote 10 words on why she loves LA." The winning words? "Succulants & Sycophants, Palms & Palm Readers, Trails & Trailblazers, Dreams & Dreams Realized."
· Here's James Franco's "YOLO" House at Hollywood Forever [Curbed LA]
· James Franco and Anne Hathaway Go Grease for R.E.M. [Racked]
· Franco! James Franco's Art Exhibit Opening Sat in Hollywood [Racked]
· Franco, Half-Naked Models Troop Into Hollywood Cemetery [Racked]