Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
When did LAX become so hip? Hot off that ridiculously cute Hello Kitty Jet landing, the Los Angeles International Airport has just revealed Phase One of its bonkers $1.9 billion facelift for the Tom Bradley International Terminal (TBIT). The grand unveiling featured a lively ceremony with a dance performance (see above), a champagne toast and complimentary cupcakes.
Although two highly-anticipated storefronts, Fred Segal and Kitson, aren't quite ready for their close-ups yet, there are a ton of boutiques open for South Concourse travelers. Ready-to-shop options include Bottega Veneta, Chloe and Gucci.
Holding court at TBIT's 150,000-square-foot Antonio Villaraigosa Pavilion, the former mayor joined current LA Mayor Eric Garcetti to note that the new dining and retail collection—including 22 LA brands—will be "phased-in as concessions transition from pre-security to post-security. The existing concessions will remain open as new and exciting dining and shops are opened progressively in the coming days and weeks." Get excited.
- A plywood-covered Fred Segal offered onlookers champagne and cupcakes.
- Kitson almost ready.
- Former LA Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa joined current LA Mayor Eric Garcetti for the big event.
- Beautiful Bottega Veneta.
- Chloe bags, ready to board.
- Gucci goodness.
- Fall-ready Burberry.
- iStore, for all your digital needs.
- Even the Duty Free looks fancy.
· Photos! LAX's Revamped Tom Bradley International Terminal [Racked]
· Fred Segal Will Be the Largest Shop at LAX's New Int'l Terminal [Racked]
· Exclusive: What to Expect at Kitson's LAX Tom Bradley Boutique [Racked]
· Photos! EVA Air's Ridiculously Cute Hello Kitty Jet Lands at LAX [Racked]