Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
- The event kicked off with a Sanrio character-filled ceremony.
- There she is!
- The whole Sanrio family graces the aircraft.
- Giddy media piling into the jet for a cabin tour.
- Cute in-flight service menus!
- Sanrio at every turn.
- Oh hey, Miss J!
- Hello Kitty fried chicken!
- Hello Kitty salmon!
- Hello Kitty spaghetti!
- Hello Kitty waffles!
- Even the safety instructions are cute.
- More fun to be had outside.
- A huge tent near the jet was transformed into Hello Kitty world.
- Hello Kitty's over 21, right?
- Tokyo-based nail artists flew to man the mani station.
- Hello Kitty card decks!
- Hello Kitty parfaits!
- Hello Kitty everything, everywhere.
- The cutest food utensils you've ever seen.
- More sugar.
- Kids were freaking out everywhere.
- Best. Day. Ever.
Dreams do come true. Yesterday, EVA Air's adorable Hello Kitty Jet made its stateside debut at LAX's Flight Path Museum. Although the Taiwan-based airline has been operating themed fleets since 2005, this was the mythical aircraft's very first time on US soil, which called for a spectacular unveiling ceremony filled with Sanrio sensory overload.
Boasting 312 seats, the B777 twin-jet plane will operate weekly international flights between Los Angeles and Taipei. Guests will be treated to more than 100 Hello Kitty passenger-service items, which we experienced first-hand during an exclusive cabin tour. Straight out of a childhood fantasy, EVA Air's first long-range Hello Kitty jet is stacked with the popular Japanese character's pillows, utensils, safety instructions, programs and more. There's even Hello Kitty-shaped food!
Take a photo tour of the epic event above, and find a reason to fly to Taipei ASAP.
· EVA Air [Official Site]
· Sanrio [Official Site]
· An Adorable Hello Kitty Jet Will Land at LAX September 18 [Racked Nat'l]
· Moon Juice Opens in Silver Lake; Hello Kitty Jet Headed to LAX [Racked]