Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
- Jewelry and accessories from Mr. Kate.
- Attendees spin the wheel for a chance to win prizes from online boutique Lulu's.
- Merch from Lulu's booth at BeautyCon.
- The always-energetic girls of the GIOGO Show hosted BeautyCon's fashion panel, Burn It or Buy It.
- Girls line up to get crowned by Cult Gaia.
- The lovely ladies of Cult Gaia (including the owner herself, Jasmin Larian, on the right).
- BeautyConners enjoyed free nail art.
- A flower-crowned guest is treated to a free makeover from BareMinerals.
- Printastic leggings and shorts from LA-based label See You Monday.
- BeautyCon attendees DIY'd their cellphone cases with glitter, feathers and more.
- As if pretty faces weren't enough, a bunny petting station brought even more cuteness to the beauty bash.
- Aspiring makeup artists and stylists left their marks (and social media handles) on the event's community shout-out board.
- 90210 actress and style star Shenae Grimes played plenty of crowd-pleasers during her DJ set.
- The cocktail-sipping rooftop scene at BeautyCon.
- The winning moment of the NYX FACE Awards.
- The NYX FACE Awards' judges, emcees and host pose with Top Vlogger Missy Lynn and her makeup model. Image via Getty Images
The second annual BeautyCon shut it down, literally. Over six thousand aspiring makeup artists, future stylists and beauty fans gathered—with some waiting in line for as long as three hours—at Siren Studios in Hollywood to meet their favorite StyleHaul vloggers, get the inside scoop from industry insiders and more at the big beauty bash. Experts like lavender-tressed Fashion Police judge Kelly Osborne, LEAFtv host and Because I'm Addicted blogger Geri Hirsch, stylish TV personality Jeannie Mai, plus Racked LA's own Natalie Alcala were among the big names on hand to dish out fashion and beauty pointers, career advice, pro blogging tips and more at expert panels throughout the full-day affair.
When they weren't attending packed panel sessions, tech-savvy guests crowded around LA-based accessories brand Cult Gaia's space to get crowned with the celeb-loved label's fashionable floral headpieces, enjoyed free makeovers by BareMinerals, tried their hand at a host of DIY seshes and scoped out the many fashion and beauty booths in the house. Up on the roof, guests sipped coconut water and cocktails with the sun above their heads and the Hollywood sign to their backs, all while 90210 star Shenae Grimes and her hubby hit the DJ decks.
Over at the event's Burn It or Buy It fashion panel hosted by the always-dynamic girls of the GIOGO Show, the year's top trends were up for debate. Hair stylist George Papanikolas, Racked's own EIC, plus a handful of YouTube's star vloggers expressed their love or dismay for heavy eye and lip looks (ditch it), fringe bikinis (totally out), and crop tops (a resounding "IN!"). The panel also weighed in on 3D nail art (just a phase), the ever-controversial sneaker wedge (Claudia of BeyondBeautyStar deemed them a versatile "buy it") and gladiator sandals ("it's all about the length," says our editor Natalie, and only the brave should take on knee-high heels).
The event culminated with the NYX FACE Awards, where the top six contestants from the cosmetics brand's online competition went head-to-head for the top title of Beauty Vlogger of the Year and a whopping grand prize of $25,000. Emceed by Amy Paffrath and viral video star P'Trique, the beauty battle challenged each vlogger to create their best goddess-inspired look in a mere 30 minutes. Ultimately, the judges—among them Racked's talented editor—chose LA-based Air Force beauty Missy Lynn of Start2Finishmua as the winner of the intense challenge.
· Fashion and Beauty Insiders Offer Advice at Simply Stylist LA [Racked]
· Drew Barrymore and More Star Speakers at Lucky FABB in LA [Racked]