Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
- Madonna’s “Blond Ambition Gold Corset” designed by Jean Paul Gaultier was front and center of the exhibit.
- Her favorite costumes are the inspiration behind the Material Girl line.
- Madonna’s infamous “Like a Virgin” wedding dress was worn by Madge at the 1984 MTV VMA’s.
- The jacket from the singer’s “Boy Toy” ensemble features the late Keith Harring’s artwork.
- Madonna wore this beaded corset ensemble, designed by Christian Lacroix, for her “Re-Invention Tour."
- The star had Michael Jackson on her arm when she donned this gown to the 1991 Oscars.
- Can there ever be too many cone bra corsets?
- “Madonna’s Fashion Evolution."
- Models doing what they do best in pieces from the Material Girl line.
- Vanessa Hudgens was the first celeb to hit the pink carpet wearing a Material Girl top.
- “It’s quite powerful," costume designer and stylist Arianne Phillips said of seeing her client’s favorite costumes in one place.
Last night, Madonna fans and fashion enthusiasts waited patiently for the unveiling of her-day exhibit at Macy's Westfield Century City. Coined as the first-ever pop-up of the pop star's archival collection, the display was sectioned off from the rest of the store near the Material Girl line. Providing a little extra eye candy were models donned in the successful line, designed by the singer with her 16-year-old daughter Lola.
The eight iconic looks were hand-picked by Madonna herself, mostly from the earlier part of her career, and each look was accompanied by a vintage photo of the star in the ensemble, in case you forgot it was her who hit the stage in that beaded Christian Lacroix corset. Other ensembles on display were the classic "Like a Virgin" wedding dress, the Vivienne Westwood "Boy Toy" jacket and the infamous Jean Paul Gaultier corsets, which were flown in from Amsterdam.
Madonna's longtime costume designer and stylist Arianne Phillips curated the exhibit and styled the eight looks that represent the inspiration behind the Material Girl line. "It's so great that girls can buy clothes that are inspired by such a great time in Madonna's career, but then they're getting Lola's eye," she said of the star's designer daughter. "It's fantastic."
Also on hand to celebrate the exhibit were Decades co-owner Christos Garkinos, Michelle Trachtenberg and Vanessa Hudgens, who was rocking a Material Girl top. "Hopefully someday we'll be able to exhibit all of them—that's my dream," Phillips said as Madonna hits played in the background. "Can you imagine?"
· Material Girl Collection [Official Site]
· Macy's [Official Site]
· Georgia May Jagger Goes Hollywood For Madonna's Macy's Line [Racked]