Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
- Joey Tierney and her Isabel Marant-loving pup, Edith.
- Jimmy Choo neon heels, $750; Azzedine Alaïa suede leopard pumps, $1,450. "I'm not afraid of color."
- Tom Ford strap sandals, $1,635. "I have somewhat of a wide foot, so I make sure to find strappy heels that don't give me that ugly girl foot. These are amazing. They hit you in all the right places."
- From left: Christian Louboutin purple suede pumps, $795; Gucci studded suede and leather sandals, $590; Saint Laurent Paris classic pump, $645. "I love the rebranding of Saint Laurent. I feel like the brand was ready for a change."
- Giuseppe Zanotti gold link chain sandals, $995. "Aren't these just amazing? Do you get as excited about shoes as I do? I mean, they're like little pieces of art."
- Givenchy ribbon wrapped sandals, $905. "Before my husband and I got married, we took a trip to Paris. He got these for me at the Givenchy store there."
- "I know this sounds terrible and snobbish, but my only non-designer shoes are my slippers from the Bowery Hotel."
- Chanel calfskin chain sandals, price unknown. "I bought these at Chanel on Robertson. I wear them to run errands."
- Chanel boots, $1,300. "These are so comfortable to walk around in."
- Giuseppe Zanotti peep toe booties, $895. "These are amazing, right? Look at that heel."
- "The one shoe that I probably wouldn't wear is the studded Valentino kitten heel. My assistant wears them all the time and she looks so adorable. For me, they're just a little too on-trend."
- "The next pair I'm eyeing are these black suede stilettos by Jimmy Choo. They have a glossy heel, very sexy. I've walked by them at the store three times, so I think I have to get them."
"I'm sorry that my Isabel Marant ankle boots couldn't be here today," says Joey Tierney as we enter her stunning Sherman Oaks home. "I woke up Saturday morning to Edith chewing on the heel. We must have the same taste in shoes, because she chose a really good pair!"
While one would assume that the designer and celebrity stylist's precious Pomeranian caused serious shoe game damage by gnawing on such a coveted pair, a quick spin around Tierney's designer-filled closet reveals that the girl's doing just fine. Backed by a decade-spanning career that includes designing NYFW-approved collections and dressing stars like Kristen Bell and Rose Byrne, Tierney has developed quite an affinity for designer footwear—especially those by Giuseppe Zanotti.
"My love for Giuseppe runs deep," she explains while clutching a pair of gold link chain sandals by the famed Italian designer. "In fact, the brand sponsored my first two fashion shows during Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week. All my models were socialites, and they all wore Guiseppes." Other favorites include Chanel ("for running errands"), Tom Ford ("best strappy shoes for a wide foot") and Givenchy ("they're a work of art").
Tierney's footwear collection is small but mighty. More interested in quality over quantity, the curated range features an array of timeless designs that were all thoughtful purchases or gifts. So, how does a top stylist that's frequently surrounded by new designer pieces maintain such a well-edited selection? "I'm a super minimalist and can't stand clutter," the Angeleno notes. "And I don't have a hard time letting go of anything. After I've had a good run with a pair, I enjoy passing them on to my two assistants, who happen to wear the same shoe size." Lucky girls.
Of the shoes that Tierney does keep, she maintains their appearance by booking routine visits to her trusty shoe doctors: Pasquale Shoe Repair on San Vicente and Progressive Shoe Shop on Dayton. "Progressive is two blocks from my office. Actually, my Isabel Marant fringe boots are there right now because I tore them up at Coachella. Like, I lived in them."
· Joey Tierney [Official Site]
· Fashion Writer Melissa Magsaysay's Dream Spring Shoe List [Racked]
· Chanel, Proenza, Ford: Inside Actress Olga Valentina's Closet [Racked]
· All Shoe Week Coverage [Racked]