Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
In addition to cooking a mean spanakopita, Christos Garkinos is quite the footwear guru. Known as the consignment counterpart to biz partner Cameron Silver's vintage persuasion on Bravo's Dukes of Melrose, the Decades boutique co-owner coordinates discounted designer kicks for the shop's epic $150 shoe sale.
Since maintaining a quality shoe game is just as important to dudes as it is to ladies, we've asked Garkinos to jumpstart our week-long celebration of footwear with eight buying tips for men.
8. "If the shoe doesn't fit at the store, it won't magically fit at home. Do not make the same mistake that many of my female consignors make. They take the walk of I-can't-fit-my-shoes shame to Decades and sell 'em."
7. "Don't buy a sneaker to wear with a suit or tux. It is very 2009 and very over."
6. "Check out Paul Smith's shoe selection on Melrose. They are actually very affordable (especially during their bi-annual sale) and have unique styles."
5. "Shine your shoes. No, really. Shine your shoes! The shoes do make the man, after all."
4. "Have you checked out Decades' shoe selection? Now, this is how to get a bargain at up to 80% off retail. Can't beat it!"
3. "Make friends with the shoe salesmen at Louboutin or Barneys. They will call you when the It shoe of the season is available in your size."
2. "Throw every Croc you own away—now. Replace them with a Sperry Topsider."
1. "For the love of god, get a pedicure before you go out in flip flops. Every girl reading this will nod her head."
· All Shoe Week Posts [Racked]
· All Dukes of Melrose Recaps [Racked]
· Christos Garkinos Cooks Spanakopita for Fashionista [Racked]
· Swirly Signage, Red Awning Appear at Louboutin Men's Shop [Racked]