Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
- For the always-sunnied eyewear addict: Mirrored Face It sunglasses by Alexandra Cassaniti, $60
- For the pal who wears their girl power on their sleeve: Girls All Over Me tee by Wacky Wacko, $40
- For the analog music snob: Mixtapes by underground legend Calvin Johnson, $10
- For the stylish, hands-free traveler: Dusen Dusen backpack, $105
- For the objets d'art collector: Odd bits pottery pieces by Peter Shire, $5 to $20
- For the eclectic textile lover: Good Vibrations by Mary Heilmann, $59.95
- For the pint-sized future punk rocker: Keep kid's shoes, $35
- For your hipster friend's kid: Labs With Abs 'zine, $3
- For the former Girl or Boy Scout: First Aid Kit by Alexandra Cassaniti, $6
- For the boho beauty: Earth Tu Face face wash, face serum and body wash, $22 to $62
- For the interior design enthusiast: Apartamento magazine, $19.95
In the spirit of our artsy, anti-establishment pals, what better way to stick it to The Man than to exercise your consumer rights at one of LA's most left-of-the-dial shops? Known for stocking cult fave brands like Opening Ceremony and Creatures of Comfort alongside a curated collection of 'zines, underground vinyl and more, essential indie boutique Ooga Booga is definitely a go-to spot for against-the-grain giftables.
If you've yet to check off the too-cool-for-school folks on your holiday list, we've rounded up a handful creative finds from the small but mighty Chinatown store. From Dusen Dusen's notebook print backpack to LA-based artist and designer Alexandra Cassaniti's summery sunnies to mixtapes compiled by an underground music legend (bust out that Walkman), check out more eclectic gift ideas after the jump.
· Ooga Booga [Official Site]
· 12 Indie Designer Giftables From Hemingway & Pickett [Racked]
· 12 Totally Wild Holiday Gift Ideas From Opening Ceremony [Racked]
· Ooga Booga Might be Caveman-Speak for "Gives Good Gift" [Racked]