Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
To support local retailers this season (and to break our online shopping addiction), we're scouring LA's best boutiques for gift-worthy items that are ready to shop right now. This is our IRL (In Real Life) Gift Guide.
- For the artsy paleo diet devotee: Chen Chen & Kai Williams stone fruit planters, $22 and $32
- For the merry experimental music maker: Richard Upchurch NYC handmade recorder with pitch control, $54
- For the boho candle collector: Izola candle, $36
- For those who can fit all the essentials in their pockets: Herschel Supply Company oxford pouch, $42
- For the aspiring screenwriter: Alwych all-weather notebooks, $13 to $26
- For the minimalist chic accessorizer: Trois Petits Points stud earrings, $55
- For the earth-loving hostess with the mostess: Boards by Joel reclaimed wood coasters ($26) and serving board ($40)
- For the stylish survivalist/doomsday prepper: Tie-A-Knot Kit, $32
- For the DIY-minded New Yorker-loving foodie: Kinfolk magazine volume ten, $18
- For the caffeine-addicted word nerd: Scrabble mugs, $14
- For the self-aware alcoholic with a sense of humor: Set Editions Good Grief glass set, $32
- For the utilitarian jetsetter: Izola dopp kits, $48
Now that you've checked off the Kenzo-loving kids on your list at Opening Ceremony, it's time to start thinking about all your unapologetically hip pals. Seeing as the Eastside is the epicenter of all things indie, artisanal, handcrafted and what have you, Silver Lake boutique Hemingway & Pickett is the top prezzie pick for those DIY-minded folks who fancy themselves too cool for the likes of certain big box hipster retailers.
Known for its well-curated selection of curiosities, locally-made wares and unique finds from indie designers around the globe—especially from Australia, where H&P owner Toby Burke Hemingway hails from—the shop stocks something for all the beardy Intelligentsia types and art school alumni in your speed dial list. From upcycled natural wood serving boards to minimalist chic jewelry by Trois Petits Points, check out more rad gift ideas after the jump.
· Hemingway & Pickett [Official Site]
· 12 Totally Wild Holiday Gift Ideas From Opening Ceremony [Racked]
· The Most Coveted Cuff Ever; Hemingway & Pickett's Podcast [Racked]