Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
- What inspired your latest exhibition? "PROJECT KITT is an exploration of the effects of mass media on the human mind. I'm asking the questions: What are we worshipping? Who are we worshipping? Why are we worshipping?"
- What was it like collaborating with American Apparel? "It was wonderful. It was really nice to have them appreciate and support my work. Seeing so
- Hood by Air designer Shayne Oliver on the decks.
- Do you miss LA? "Of course. I was really happy there. I used to have a secret afterhours spot in LA called The Coffee Shop where a couple hundred of us would get together and just go wild. Those were fun times."
While down at Art Basel Miami Beach last week, we made a stop at another hometown hero's event: Kesh's one-night-only art exhibit, "W@WW." The celeb-filled show featured ten large-scale pieces and a video installation that revealed just what the 27-year-old British expat has been up to since collaborating with American Apparel and suddenly moving from Los Angeles to the NorCal Redwoods.
After spotting famous faces like Raekwon and Hood by Air's Shayne Oliver (he played DJ for the night), we cornered Kesh to hear more about her unique vision and why she suddenly ditched the city life.
When did you move to the woods?
"After living in LA for three years, last September I decided that I wanted to get away from the chaos and explore isolation. I packed up and moved to Montecito, which is eight hours up from LA. I still have my DTLA studio, The Cave, but here in the woods I can be in my thoughts a little more."
· Kesh [Official Site]
· Kesh for American Apparel; Hillary Kerr's Enviable Bookshelf [Racked]
· Popstars GRL Grace Robertson in DimePiece, Kesh, J Campbell [Racked]
· Rodarte Star Chloe Nørgaard Talks LA, Crazy Hair and Candy [Racked]