Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Although 3.1 Phillip Lim's collab for Target was sheer #Limsanity, hardcore fans know that there ain't nothin' like the real thing. Today at 9am, the cult-favorite designer's second-ever LA sample sale is taking place at DTLA's Cooper Building. We took a tour of the deals last night, and since no snaps were allowed (again!), we're putting our photographic memory to the test to lay out the goods before you head out. Nine things to know:
1. The sale is not inside the building. The entrance is outside on Los Angeles Street, right next to the Pressed Juicery stand.
2. No outside bags allowed. Just like last time, be prepared to hand over your baggage upon arrival. Avoid this step by bringing a small wallet instead.
3. There are tons of handbags! No Pashlis, but mounds of 31 Minute and 31 Second bags in a variety of textures, like the above Black Giraffe Stingray clutch from spring 2013 ($150). Leather accessories range from $75 for card cases to $400 large bags. (We spotted a few metallic and lizardskin styles.)
4. All shoes are $100 and are monitored by staff. They're located behind a counter at the back of the room to the left, where an associate checks sizes and hand-delivers requests. We spotted men's shoes, women's Page loafer flats and Juliette wedge sandals. (No Cody sandals this time.)
5. Outerwear is seriously on-point. Although select pieces will cost you a pretty penny (shearling coats are $900, embellished fur coats are $700, leather jackets are $550 and bejeweled fur vests are $400), their statement-worthiness semi-justifies the still-steep pricing. Sweaters are $150 to $300. We spotted the original BOOM! sweater that inspired that Target collab.
6. Tees, swimwear and intimates are big steals. A bit more expensive this time around, simple T-shirts are $75 compared to last year's $50. Again, tops and bottoms are $25 each, swimsuit sets are $50, an bras and panties are $30.
7. Men's and women's apparel come in a range of sizes. Dresses are between $400 (cocktail) to $500 (evening), shorts are $100, long-sleeved tops are $150, skirts are $100 and pants are $75. The men's section is at the back on the left, near the shoe counter.
8. There are no dressing rooms. Two mirrors near the cash wrap will be frequently occupied by other shoppers, so bring a friend to be your mirror for you. Also, wear something comfortable that you can try clothing on over.
9. Cash and credit are accepted, and there are no returns. The sale is going on today from 9am to 6pm and tomorrow from 9am to 4pm, so make sure to go both days to catch any replenished items. Good luck and share your scores in the comments!
· 3.1 Phillip Lim [Official Site]
· 3.1 Phillip Lim x Target: Bags First to Go at Target WeHo [Racked]
· Inside 3.1 Phillip Lim's Cool-Kid Spring Shopping Soiree [Racked]
· No Pashli Bags, Yes Cody Shoes at Phillip Lim's Sample Sale [Racked]
· Oh, the Limsanity: 3.1 Phillip Lim's Sample Sale is Next Week [Racked]