Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
- As we Angelenos know, there's much more to the City of Angels than celebrity homes and the Hollywood sign. This cute Anti-Boredom Card illustrated by artist Kathryn McFarlane at DTLA's Poketo (
- Trekking through traffic the 405 is so LA...and feels like a hangover in itself. Commemorate the always-in-costruction highway by throwing one back with Sisters of Los Angeles' clever set of freeway shot glasses (
- Jacqueline says: "I love going to Shore Fit in Manhattan Beach (1012 Manhattan Ave) for my fitness apparel kick! They have great fitting yoga gear. A healthy lifestyle is very much part of the LA archetype; besides, who
- Local jewelry brand Coordinates Collection's customizable bracelets and rings lets you wear LA's latitude and longitude, literally. The silver Horizon bracelet ($229—$294) is partic
- Jacqueline says: "I love Firefly in Venice (1409 Abbot Kinney Blvd) for their accessories and stationery. Their screen-printed tote bags that say ‘Venice’ (
- Jacqueline says: "I refer to Golden State (564 Rose Ave in Venice) as my little Westside gem. This boutique sells only California made goods and its perfect for any souvenir. Every piece you get from here has
- Jacqueline says: "Yolk in Silver Lake (1626 Silver Lake Blvd) is FUN and rather perfect if you are a kitchen gadget enthusiast—or if you have friends that are! I like to shop here for barware, containers and dinnerware. I also recently purchased a ‘
- Jacqueline says: "The MOCA museum store in Downtown (250 S Grand Ave) has a highly curated selection of books and arts. A go-to for a good coffee table book; one of my favorite (and a no brainer) accessory for any home. I also
From Hollywood to Venice to the Sunset Strip, run-of-the-mill tourist gift shops are as ubiquitous as our towering palm trees and big red tour buses. But when "I Heart Los Angeles" tees and plastic Oscar statues aren't gonna cut it, where's one to go for stylish souvenirs?
To help us answer that question, we tapped fashionable globetrotter (seriously, check out her National Geographic-worthy Insta) and Rose Agency owner Jacqueline le Rose to give us a hand. Already a pro at scouring the globe for stylish wares to bring Stateside (blogstars can thank her for bringing over Oz apparel label One Teaspoon), we knew the Aussie-bred, LA-based lifestyle brand rep could guide us to our town's non-traditional touristy treasures. Whether you're an out-of-towner, an international transplant or a native Angeleno, here are eight non-cheesy places to help you commemorate the City of Angels in style.
· All Travel Week 2013 Posts [Racked]