Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
- There's Busy Phillips (blonde) and Jenny Lewis (hat) enjoying their enviable positions in front of the line.
- Excited/nervous shoppers approaching the line somewhat cautiously.
- Let the games begin.
- Spotted! Gossip Girl's Michelle Trachtenberg paying for her scores before everyone else.
- Picked over styles and a lonely pair of leather pants ($299).
- Surprisingly, these embroidered white pants ($99) weren't the first to go.
- While passed appetizers were abundant, shoppers were hungry for one thing and one thing only: Marant!
- DJ Michelle Pesce wearing Isabel Marant for H&M while attempting to tame the crowds with her soothing sounds.
- Another rack maintainer was this silver brocade skirt ($79.95).
- Hey, it's Kelly Oxford and Jenny Lewis!
- Those kids sweatpants ($34.95) were a favorite for petite folks.
- These gold baggy pants were nabbed by only a few bold dressers ($99).
- Everyone was flocking to this brocade bomber jacket ($149), including superstar stylist Cher Coulter.
Our hearts are still racing from last night's insanity. Two days before Isabel Marant for H&M's official release, H&M hosted a private shopping event at its West Hollywood location. Giving last year's Marni mania a run for its money, the exclusive bash was next-level chaos and featured a handful of big names, including starlets, stylists, web personalities, musicians, editors and, of course, bloggers.
Assuming we'd be the earliest of birds by arriving at 5:45pm for the 7pm affair, our hopes were immediately shattered when we encountered 10 people ahead of us, including Cougar Town actress Busy Phillips, stylish musician Jenny Lewis and Twitter sensation Kelly Oxford. Gossip Girl's Michelle Tractenberg arrived shortly after and the four privileged ones were let in 30 minutes early to peruse the goods ahead of the rapidly growing line. No fair!
After observing some hilarious line-cutter call-outs (don't mess with a diehard), we bravely entered the madness and encountered the most ruthless Marantaholics we've ever seen.
A few takeaways, based on last night's experience: if you're going to grab anything, run to the embroidered jacket ($399) and fringe boots ($299) sported by Geri Hirsch here. Those two items were gone so fast that we didn't even have a chance to take a photo of them. Also, if you don't mind a snug fit, consider exploring the kids items like Rumi Neely did in the same post. The sweatpants, "Smile" sweaters, denim jackets and cute Captain hats were instant sellers.
Speaking of sweaters, that shaggy black and white one sported by Daria Werbowy in the campaign was another score. Men's sweaters were also quick to go.
Feeling good about tomorrow? Study this cheat sheet if you haven't already, and get a good night's sleep. We'll be reporting live from the scene at H&M Beverly Center at 7am.
· Isabel Marant for H&M: What to Buy, Where to Buy Next Week [Racked]