Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Another day, another Nasty Gal story. To give readers an inside look at the beauty behind the brains, Into the Gloss recently highlighted the top shelf of Nasty Gal CEO and founder Sophia Amoruso.
In addition to including impressive stats like how "Nasty Gal is on track to exceed $100 million in revenue this year," Amoruso reveals a nice mix of personality and vanity (ITG is a beauty blog, after all) tidbits. We also get a peek inside the 28-year-old's quaint LA abode. Here are five things we didn't know about the rising mogul until now.
1. She's a loner: "I'm really an introvert—I started an online eBay store so I could work by myself, not thinking I would have a hundred-fifty employees and be getting photographed, or any of these things."
2. She's a haircare product loyalist: "I use almost all Bumble and Bumble hair products: they work for me, I like the way they smell—and my boyfriend manages a Bumble salon."
3. She's serious about skincare: "My skin's really tough—I get microdermabrasion pretty frequently—a regular scrub doesn't usually do the job."
4. She's a makeup minimalist: "Usually, I only do mascara, foundation, and a little bit of blush."
5. She's a gel manicure fan: "I got my gels done at Neihulé [607 S Olive St] in downtown LA near our office [...] I prefer gels because I'll destroy nail polish before I even get into the car."
· The Top Shelf: Sophia Amoruso, Founder & CEO, Nasty Gal [ITG]
· Success Stories [Racked]
· Nasty Gal's Debut Collection Is Tough, Tight and Super-Sexy [Racked]