Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
- Guests were treated to a live performance by LA's Nicole Simone
- Stylish peeps queuing for their boarding passes
- Our flight attendants offered the best pre-flight snacks: candy and Cracker Jacks
- Rimowa's retro-inspired JU52 aircraft in all its glory
- A closer look
- All aboard!
- Inside the plane (note the cute pilot bear sitting below the light-up signs)
- Scenic shot #1
- Scenic shot #2 (squint to see a microscopic DTLA from afar)
- Time for dinner
- Nicole Simone in a glorious dress by Dolce & Gabbana
- On the menu
- Rimowa's original "luggage with the grooves"
Last night was one for the books. Rimowa CEO Dieter Morszeck invited a selection of stars, stylists and tastemakers to the Van Nuys Airport to celebrate the German luxury luggage maker's JU52 aircraft, also known as "the flying suitcase." Notables like actress Marisa Tomei, Breaking Bad's Aaron Paul, actor Chris Hemsworth, local designer Jenni Kayne, actor (and recent art curator) Danny Masterson and celebrity stylist Ilaria Urbinati were all on hand to take in the event's exciting perks.
Prior to a decadent dinner and live performance by LA-based songstress Nicole Simone in one of the airport's open hangars, guests were treated to a 40-minute flight tour of LA county on the '50s-themed JU52. Although we certainly know our way around LA, it was a real treat to see the lay of the land from above—and our slick retro ride wasn't too shabby, either. Fun fact: the exterior of the plane was inspired by Rimowa's original "luggage with the grooves," which has been around for over 100 years.
· Rimowa [Official Site]
· Danny Masterson Curates Rad Rock Photos at Confederacy [Racked]