Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
In honor of Beauty Week 2012, we're peeking into the cosmetics cases of some of our city's top stylesetters to see if their beauty game matches their enviable fashion sense. Spoiler alert: it totally does. From La Mer eye cream and Tom Ford lipstick to bobby pins and bandaids, we'll showcase high-end and drugstore essentials from a new bag each day. Let's go!
Photos courtesy of Hillary Kerr.
Hillary Kerr is the co-founder and editorial director of celebrity style and trend bible, Who What Wear. When she's not penning addictive features for the site, you can find her flashing that pretty smile around town at a series of high-profile fashion events with her partner in crime, WWW's co-founder and creative director, Katherine Power. Kerr's also a major beauty buff, which is why she's (and we're) super stoked about WWW's newest section, Who What Wear Beauty.
1. Lipstick Queen Medieval Tinted Treatment ($20): "Like all lipstick junkies, I'm wildly obsessed with everything Poppy King does, including this incredible, sheer lip tint. It's perfect for the days I need something to really condition my lips, and the soft cherry color is super flattering."
2. Guerlain Terracotta Nail Polish in Riviera ($22): "This polish is part of Guerlain's Terra Azzurra by Emilio Pucci Summer 2012 collection and I'm just crazy about it. It's the most gorgeous electric cobalt color with a hint of metallic sheen. This collection is slated to hit select Saks Fifth Avenue, Nordstrom, Neiman Marcus, Sephora and Bloomingdale's stores in May."
3. Make Up For Ever Rouge Artist Intense Lipstick in 36 ($19): "One of my favorite makeup artists (and friends) Joey Maalouf used this lip color on me for an event recently and I'm totally hooked. It's such a stunning shade of fuchsia and perfect for almost any skin tone. I wear it with a bare face and some mascara on a daily basis."
4. Benefit Brow Zings ($30): "I adore a strong eyebrow—even with my blonde hair—which means I regularly emphasize mine with this perfect little kit from Benefit."
5. Tom Ford Beauty Lip Color in True Coral ($48): "More lip product! (I told you I was obsessed.) One lipstick that's always in my bag is this gorgeous pink-coral color from Tom Ford. It's a little retro and totally lovely."
6. Clinique Bottom Lash Mascara ($10): "This mascara changed my life—seriously. The tiny brush really gets all the little lashes, plus the formula is crazy genius. It's seriously smudge-proof (tears or sweat don't budge it), but it comes off easily with warm water and pressure. No wonder why I use it on my bottom and top lashes every day!"
7. Clinique Redness Solutions Makeup SPF 15 ($26): "My nose is always slightly pink—I think I'm part bunny—but you'd never know it thanks to this oil-free makeup. It's lightweight but really covers redness and imperfections, which is why I'm so loyal to it!"
8. NARS Blush in Desire ($28): "I don't really do muted colors, as you can tell from this bright pink blush! Though it might look scary from afar, it's actually really sheer and the color builds beautifully—I promise!"
9. Kate Spade Japanese Floral Small Henrietta Bag ($60): "I've been carrying my makeup in a Kate Spade Small Henrietta Bag for the better part of a decade because it's the perfect size and shape. I also adore that the brand is always updating the bag in new, interesting prints, like this gorgeous, vintage-inspired floral."