Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
- Madness inside the warehouse
- The ultimate score: Rag & Bone booties for $99
- Trying on finds behind the shoe tables
- The accessories table in the foreground
- In the women's racks
- The Benefit makeup station. Stop here after shopping (obvs).
- More women's stuff.
- A sparkly gown
- Men's racks.
- Men's shoes
We stopped by a preview of Gilt Groupe's big warehouse sale last night at Siren Studios in Hollywood (just doing our job here) and walked away with a few tips and ideas for strategy. Here it goes:
1. Don't worry about parking. Siren Studios has free lot. Still, get there early so you don't have to park in the hinterlands.
2. There's a coat and bag check station located immediately inside the space. To speed your entrance, just bring your wallet/keys/phone.
3. When you walk into the airplane hanger that is Siren Studios, get a quick lay of the land. The shoes (most peoples' number one target) will be on your left, laid out in boxes on rows of tables. The smallest sizes will be closest, getting larger as you head towards the wall of the room. The shoes on top of the stack of boxes are not indicative of the contents below them—you have to dig through all the boxes. We saw Rag & Bone and Miu Miu in this area last night, among other finds.
4. If you're interested in handbags, clutches, lingerie, jewelry, swim or housewares, they are all laid out on a long, large table in the middle of the space—it's in between the shoe zone and the bar area. There are even carpets. We spotted a few Marc Jacobs bags, as well as a cute option from L.A.M.B and some Miu Miu cluches.
5. On to clothing, which dominates the rest of the space. It's a mixed bag. Denim, blouses, floor-length gowns, you name it. Labels we combed through included Vanessa Bruno, J Brand, Diane von Furstenberg, AG Jeans and Chloe. Women's will be on your left, with the smallest clothes towards the wall, while men's is relegated to the right half of the space. Men's shoes are at the very back.
6. There is a small selection of kid's clothes, which last night was mostly girl's. It's agains the wall on the right-hand side, near the men's and accessories table.
7. Don't expect fitting rooms. You're going to have to try everything on in public, with people milling about. Dress accordingly.
8. We heard they will be restocking. We also heard that they will be selling tickets at the door for the 2 to 4pm and 4 to 6pm slots at $5 apiece.
9. Pricing: It's all over the map. The Miu Miu stuff was still a little on the high side (around $100 for shoes and $260 for clutches), the Rag & Bone Harrow boots we spotted were a mere $99 (that's down from $495). We considered and ultimately did not buy a Vanessa Bruno leather overall that, at $299, was still a little high for a wildly impractical purchase. So, there are steals to be found.
Good luck out there! Let us know what you find in the comments.
· Brace: Gilt Groupe's Mega Warehouse Sale Hitting Hollywood