- Designer Melissa Coker of Wren
- The digital technicolor wall was a major attraction
- Pinwheels by Ara Peterson and Jim Drain
- Designer Phillip Lim
- This room by Ben Jones featured trippy projections on the walls and floor
- More projections...
- ...and more
- There was a room completely in the dark, with only these eyes glaring back at you
- Designer Jeremy Scott
- A matrix-like tunnel
- Strings of colorful neon filled this room
- Sophie Buhai, co-designer of Vena Cava
- The scene
- Painting by Will Fowler
- Hilarious game show-y clips projected on one wall
- Designer and sculptor, Allie Pohl
- Butterfly art by LA's own Sage Vaughn
- Mythological coat by Sanford Biggers
- It wouldn't be a Mike D party without music
- Red-eyed cars in the Mercedes-Benz Concept Style Coupé
- The one and only Mike D
- A giant horse interlude
- Santigold invited superfans to the stage for a quick dance party
- Coachella who?
If we could describe last night's opening party for The Avant/Garde Diaries' Transmission LA: AV Club exhibit in two words, it would be "sensory overload." Held at The Geffen Contemporary at MOCA, the 17-day festival sponsored by Mercedes-Benz features the work of 16 groundbreaking artists, designers, musicians, filmmakers, and chefs, all curated by none other than Mike D of legendary hip hop trio, the Beastie Boys.
While exploring the exhibit's many fascinating rooms and secret tunnels, we were surprised to see so many LA fashion champions taking in the scene. Designer Melissa Coker of Wren was pumped for the exhibit, noting, "I truly believe that fashion and art go hand in hand, so I'm very glad to be here." Designer Phillip Lim was equally thrilled, smiling from ear to ear when he saw a crazy feather coat by LA artist Sanford Biggers. We also bumped into Jeremy Scott, who wore a space suit of his own design for the occasion. When we asked if he had the energy to throw another insane Coachella bash for weekend two, he quickly replied, "Oh god no. One weekend was enough—trust me!"
We were particularly excited to run into Sophie Buhai, one half of the Vena Cava design duo, who revealed to us that the cult favorite label is officially opening an office in LA. "We love Racked LA, so we'll be sure to keep you posted on progress!" she added. Later that night, Santigold graced MOCA's outdoor stage for a memorable performance of all of her hit tracks. The crowd, which quickly grew to Coachella-like proportions, danced until the wee hours.
Visit Transmission LA: AV Club now through May 6.
· Transmission LA [MOCA]
· Inside the Insane Jeremy Scott and Adidas Coachella Bash [Racked]
· Wren and Gia Coppola Fête Fashion and Film at TenOverSix [Racked]