Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
In honor of Beauty Week 2012, we're peeking into the cosmetics cases of some of our city's top stylesetters to see if their beauty game matches their enviable fashion sense. Spoiler alert: it totally does. From La Mer eye cream and Tom Ford lipstick to bobby pins and bandaids, we'll showcase high-end and drugstore essentials from a new bag each day. Let's go!
Photos courtesy of Kate Albrecht.
We've sung the praises of Kate Albrecht before. In addition to designing a burgeoning jewelry line called Mr. Kate, she runs a brilliant lifestyle blog under the same name that's oozing with fashion, food, and home décor inspiration. She also has a knack for DIY beauty, which is why we decided to check in to see what kind of beautifying goodies she totes in her customized cosmetics case on the daily.
1. MAC Lipstick in Ruby Woo ($14.50): This is the perfect red lipstick. It spruces up any messy bun look and I love the matte finish, which also makes the lipstick stay put for a long time."
2. Burt's Bees Tinted Lip Balm in Hibiscus ($7): "I try to buy natural cosmetics whenever possible. This lip balm is super moisturizing and has the slightest rose shade. It's perfect for daily wear.
3. Mineral Fusion Bronzer Duo in Luster ($29.99). This is my new favorite eco- and skin-friendly mineral brand. I got it at Whole Foods and I love the bronzer duo which has a contour and a highlight color.
4. Make Up For Ever Star Powder in Gold ($20): This is one of my longtime favorites. I use it in the inner corners of my eyes to add a great shimmer. I get compliments about it every time I wear it."
5. Concrete Minerals Eyeshadows ($6.99). "I have these shadows in tons of colors. It's natural and their pigments are great."
6. Concrete Minerals Eyeshadow Primer ($10.99). "This is a must to keep your eyeshadow from creasing and wearing off. I just apply it with my fingers, super easy."
7. YSL Faux Cils Luxurious Mascara ($30): "This is my one designer makeup indulgence. It seriously is the best mascara I've ever tried. I love that it plumbs and lengthens."
8. Physician's Formula Organic Wear 100% Natural Eyeliner ($7.95): "This is a natural makeup line that you can buy at any drugstore. I love their army green eyeliner."
9. Physician's Formula Organic Wear Concealer Stick ($14.99): "This is my all-time favorite concealer—and it's natural! I love how the yellow tones cover up my under eye circles. I apply it with a concealer brush.
10. My makeup bag is actually a clutch that I got at the flea market for just $1 and then hand-painted myself. You can see the DIY video here!
· Mr. Kate [Official Site]
· All Show and Tell Posts [Racked]
· Mr. Kate Walks Us Through Her Dreamy New Jewelry Collection [Racked]