Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
In honor of Beauty Week 2012, we're peeking into the cosmetics cases of some of our city's top stylesetters to see if their beauty game matches their enviable fashion sense. Spoiler alert: it totally does. From La Mer eye cream and Tom Ford lipstick to bobby pins and bandaids, we'll showcase high-end and drugstore essentials from a new bag each day. Let's go!
Photos courtesy of Amanda Thomas.
Amanda Thomas is one of our most cherished hometown heroes. Her wildly successful jewelry line Luv AJ is both adored by locals and adorned by stars across the globe, including Rachel Bilson, Scarlett Johansson, Solange Knowles and Nicole Richie. Given that her mainline and collaborative designs are always in high demand, Thomas is constantly on the go, meaning that a super edited beauty regime is really all she has time for. Here, Thomas reveals the nine product wonders that do the trick.
1. Kiehl's Creme De Corps Whipped Body Butter ($36): "This is probably my favorite product in my beauty regime these days. This body butter has the most divine smell (like seriously, I'm pretty sure this is what heaven smells like) and the whipped texture is incredible. It is the most moisturizing body butter I've ever used. I'll usually skip the perfume and put a little of this on before I leave the house."
2. Ojon Damage Reverse Hair Oil ($25): "I just dyed my hair white blonde (I'm trying to channel Aline Weber), so my hair is not as healthy as it used to be. My worst nightmare is that it's going to snap off every time I brush it, so I started using this oil whenever I get out of the shower. Oddly enough, my hair has never been healthier, even before I dyed it! This little bottle of oil is a miracle worker."
3. L'Oréal Lineur Intense Liquid Eyeliner ($6.50): "Anyone that knows me knows that I'm a one-trick-pony when it comes to my makeup. You will either see me without an ounce of make up on, or with a really extreme cat eye. People always ask me how I do my eyeliner so straight, and no, it's not because I'm good at it (I actually suck at makeup) but it's because of this eyeliner. Loreal Lineur Intense is an idiot-proof liquid liner the anyone can use—and I mean anyone. You can get it any CVS for a couple bucks. It's one of my best-kept secrets."
4. Paw Paw Ointment ($6.03): "I have a sick addiction to chapstick and my lips literally crave it every hour. I usually have Aquaphor on hand until my recent trip to Australia where I discovered Paw Paw Ointment. First of all, the name is amazing, and secondly, the texture is a little less greasy then Aquaphor or Vaseline. Needless to say, I'm in love, and so are my lips."
5. NARS Lipstick in Schiap ($24): "As aforementioned, I hate makeup. I would rather sleep-in an extra 15 minutes than paint my face, so one of my go-tos is lipstick. It's quick and easy to apply, and makes you look like you have a complete look, even if the only other thing you have on is mascara. NARS Schiap is my favorite lipstick because it's matte and the hot pink hue is stunning on blondes."
6. Bliss Spa Triple Oxygen Instant Energizing Mask ($54): "I love anything Bliss Spa, but this face mask works wonders. I use it once a week in the shower, and it clears my skin up instantaneously. It foams a little and smells so good. It's definitely a mus-have for my facial routine."
7. Oribe Texturizing Spray ($19.50): "I have searched high and low for the perfect surf spray. I let my hair dry naturally usually and have little to no skills with straighteners and curlers, so I like a little spray now and then to give my hair some texture. Oribe's spray is the perfect fix—it gives you sexed-up-and-weather-torn hair instantly, and the aerosol spray is so strong, it blows your hair away and creates a natural "teased" look. Plus, it smells bomb."
8. Psssssst! Dry Shampoo ($6.99): "Showering is not always an option, especially when you're on the run and don't want to show up to dinner and drinks with wet hair (which I always do for the record). Dry shampoo is the answer to my dreams. Although I have tried so many versions, this one is my favorite by far. It's super cheap, available at CVS, and it has a funny name."
9. Calypso Vanille Fragrance ($55): "I'm not big on perfume, so I don't wear it on a daily basis, but if I want a little something-something to spritz on, I use Calypso's vanilla fragrance. It's has a true vanilla scent, so it's a little musky, but light enough that the scent won't linger when you leave the room."
· Luv AJ [Official Site]
· All Show and Tell Posts [Racked]
· LF and Luv AJ Team Up on Festival-Friendly Jewelry [Racked]