Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
In honor of Beauty Week 2012, we're peeking into the cosmetics cases of some of our city's top stylesetters to see if their beauty game matches their enviable fashion sense. Spoiler alert: it totally does. From La Mer eye cream and Tom Ford lipstick to bobby pins and bandaids, we'll showcase high-end and drugstore essentials from a new bag each day. Let's go!
Photos courtesy of Emily and Meritt.
If there's one thing that we've learned from snooping in the primp kits of Emily Current and Meritt Elliott, it's that these girls are prepared for anything. It's for good reason too, because not only are the multitasking LA-based celebrity stylists known for getting Emma Roberts, Sophia Bush and Mandy Moore red carpet ready, but they're also regarded for the cult-favorite denim line, Current/Elliott. Given that this dynamic duo have been working together for over a decade (and it's nearly impossible to find a photo of them apart), we've bundled their plentiful beauty essentials all in one post.
1. Dior Pressed Powder Compact ($42): "This powder comes in handy throughout the day because it does a great job masking shine."
2. Hourglass Retractable Powder Brush ($42): "I love that this brush swivels away and has a lid to keep it clean in my bag."
3. Lorac Cheek Stamp in Hibiscus ($18): "I love this blush! It's likes a powder rubber stamp that you dab on your cheeks. This is my instant pick-me-up."
4. Sephora Clear Snag-Free Hair Elastics ($3.50): "I tend to throw my hair in a side braid midday. These tiny clear elastics are perfect for braids because they virtually disappear!"
5. CleanWell Hand Sanitizer Spray ($8.99): "This alcohol-free hand sanitizer doesn't dry out my hands. For girls who travel and shop as much as we do, we go through at least one bottle a week!"
6. Band-Aid bandages ($2.99): "I always keep bandaids handy for shoe blisters, which I get often because I'm on my feet most the time."
7. Makena B Roll-On Fragrance Oil ($28): "I bought this oil in Pa'ia—a tiny hippie town in Maui. It has a fresh and clean smell that is perfect for when we have to run to a dinner meeting or drinks after a long day of work."
8. Josie Maran Argan Natural Lip Gloss in Precious ($20): "I'm a huge fan of Josie Maran's line. This pale pink gloss is my go-to, everyday lip color."
9. Make Up For Ever Aqua Lip Pencil in Bright Fuchsia ($18): "This hot pink waterproof lip pencil is a fun neon color and is small enough to keep around in case I'm in need of a statement lip."
10. Stila Long Wear Lip Color in Exhilarating ($20): "I use this with the Make Up For Ever lip pencil (see #9). It's the most vibrant neon pink and comes in handy when I need to look polished and put together quickly."
11. Smith's Rosebud Salve ($6): "I get really chapped lips and this Salve is so soothing and smells delicious—just like roses!"
12. Clinique Bottom Lash Mascara in Black: "Although this teeny tiny mascara is made for bottom lashes, I like to use it on all of my lashes when I'm on the run. Plus, the size is perfect for travel."
13. Boscia Green Tea Blotting Linens ($10): "I'm a huge believer in blotting papers. I love that these blot away oil without disturbing your makeup."
14. Elle Gold Bobby Pins ($6.50): "Gold bobby pins aren't easy to find, so I always search for them at random drugstores when traveling. The gold looks so much better on blonds than that weird painted blond color. I love to whip up messy up-dos with these pins."
15. Burt's Bees Tinted Lip Balm in Rose ($7): "This sheer tinted lip balm is very natural looking and moisturizing. It's a great balm to wear when you're going for that 'no-makeup' makeup look."
16. Goody Ouchless Hair Elastics ($3.99): "I like to keep a thick elastic hair tie in my bag in case I need to throw dirty hair into a top knot or slicked back pony."
17. Josie Maran Magic Marker in Jive: "This lip pen is one of the most amazing products that I've purchased in years. It's very rich in pigment and will last on your lips all day!"
18. YSL Pur Couture Lipstick in Rouge ($32): "I wear red lips at least every other day. I'm especially smitten with this orangey red color. A red lip can do wonders for a lackluster outfit!"
19. Kevyn Aucoin Pure Powder Glow in Dolline ($37): "A makeup artist on a shoot recommended this peachy color to me and I just love how fresh-faced it makes me look."
20. Shu Uemura Face Architect Remodeling Cream Foundation ($45) and Brush ($42): "This is my most important product and brush combo. When I need to touch up my makeup midday, I swirl this over my face to create glowy skin."
1. La Mer Face Cream ($140): "This is my most indulgent beauty product and worth every penny! A pea-size amount on my face at night magically erases all of the day's stresses."
2. The Container Store Mini Sewing Kit ($6.99): "Not only should every girl have one of these on-hand at all times for fashion emergencies, but as a stylist, all of your friends will expect you to come to their wardrobe rescue!"
3. OPI Nail Stick in Clear ($7): "I'm a fan of short, shiny nails at all times. This little nail polish is the size of a pen and helps me look like I just left the manicurist."
4. Oribe Dry Texturizing Spray ($19.50): "This is the only hair product I can't leave home without. Recommended by my amazing hair stylist, this gem is part hair spray, part dry shampoo, part miracle."
5. Josie Maran Magic Marker in Tango and Jive ($19): "These two sticks have proven to add a burst of color to my life. I mix them with a little lip balm."
6. Kleenex Pocket Tissues ($2.99): "They've updated their packaging to be cuter and cleaner. Clearly, their marketing strategy has worked on me, because I've stocked up on all of the different patterns!"
7. Chanel Inimitable Mascara ($30): "All my brilliant makeup artist friends say this is an epic mascara—-and they're right! Now, long and dark lashes are mine to have!"
8. Bliss High Intensity Hand Cream ($18): "I love clean and soft hands, so this cream really does the trick."
9. Nivea Lip Gloss ($3.29): "This lip moisturizer adds a touch of color and a ton of shine. It's my drugstore gem!"
10. Emergen-C 1000 mg Vitamin C Fizzy Drink Mix ($7.95): "I've found that if I have a few of these vitamin packs a week, I can combat any seasonal bug. I keep them close to remind me to take care of myself."