Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
- The footwear icon's name tagged on the store window.
- Close-up of the street art-inspired window display.
- The line was so long that it was parted in three sections. Security was super strict.
- Artists were encouraged to tag inside of the store - not an everyday occurrence.
- Guests leaving their mark on the event's dedicated tagging wall.
- Die-hard Louboutin fan Alyssa Schlosser with her mom, Debra.
- Alyssa getting her shoe signed by the designer. Cool art piece in the background.
- Alyssa's Louboutin Gold Metal Nodo slingbacks signed.
If you noticed that there was a considerable amount of traffic in Beverly Hills this afternoon, it was because the myth, the man, the legend, Christian Louboutin was in town for a special event at Neiman Marcus. From 2pm to 4pm, loyal fans of the iconic footwear designer were invited to the luxury retail department store to celebrate Mr. Louboutin's 20-year anniversary and have him autograph their red soles freshly purchased during the event.
And while you'd think that the bash would only call to a limited amount of people considering that the designer's shoes don't come cheap, the store was actually jam-packed with footwear fiends willing to make the investment without question. Two fans in particular caught our eye: an exceptionally well-dressed mother and daughter duo named Debra and Alyssa Schlosser. We had a mini Q&A with them while they were waiting in line.
Where do you work?
Debra: At a recycling center in Simi Valley.
Alyssa: At a wine shop.
How far did you come for this event?
Debra: We drove one hour from Westlake.
How many red soles do you own and when did you get your first pair?
Alyssa: I own five and I got my first pair when I was in high school. I think I was 15 or 16.
Debra: I own about a dozen Loubs and I got my first pair, gosh, maybe 10 years ago?
What are you going to say to Mr. Louboutin when you meet him today?
Debra: "What's the story behind the red soles?"
Alyssa: "Please never stop making these shoes!"
· Christian Louboutin [Official Site]