Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
- Damien Hirst's signature spots. Suddenly we want to play Twister.
- Yes, that is a backpack covered in pills.
- Oh hey, pretty Erin Wasson.
- Creepy-cool art #1
- Pure decadence.
- Creepy-cool art #2
- An artsy film for the collab looped throughout the night.
- Heavy metal dress by Paco Rabanne.
- Creepy-cool art #3
- Very expensive fur by The Row.
- Is that? No way...
- Yes! The Olsens!
Last night was a night of many firsts. It was our first time visiting luxury retailer/gallery Just One Eye's Hollywood showroom, which was once the HQ of the legendary Howard Hughes. It was also our first time meeting Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen (!), who were on hand to fête the launch of their The Row backpacks decorated by iconic artist Damien Hirst. The artful bags cost a whopping $55,000 a piece—another first.
If you're wondering why these limited-edition backpacks have a hiked up price that makes The Row's now-infamous $39,000 alligator backpack look like a bargain in the land of ridiculous wealth, keep in mind that these new bags feature rare Nile crocodile leather. They also pay homage to Hirst's most iconic pieces, like the spot-splattered Row (now we know why they teamed up) and the pill-happy offerings of The Void.
Click through our gallery to see the designs, some cool art, an Erin Wasson encounter and a gratuitous Olsen sighting, and stop by Just One Eye to see the bags in action before they sell out (which is absolutely possible).
· The Row x Damien Hirst [Just One Eye]
· The Row Backpacks at Just One Eye; Vogue Interview Outfits [Racked]