Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
- The colorful sunset shots in the 1978 Terence Malick film "Days of Heaven" were a major inspiration.
- The models will wear wigs inspired by French singer Sylvie Vartan's famous blonde bob.
- A drawing of a fall 2012 gown and bustier, along with a swatch of the gold-black velvet fabric it will be made from.
New York Fashion Week is a little over a week away, which means that some of our favorite LA designers are gearing up to present their fall collections to the world's top fashion influencers. One of our many local heroes showing this season is Barbara Tfank, who is a favorite of women-in-power, like Anna Wintour. Michelle Obama is also a huge fan and recently wore one of the designer's resort numbers to the State of the Union.
As a prelude to her upcoming presentation on February 13 at the Danse Gallery, Tfank checked in with us to exclusively share what she's feeling for fall: "I'm continuing to present my timeless pieces that include ladylike, polished day dresses and elegant gowns in couture fabrics like silk faille, double face satin and brocade," she reveals. "I had a number of inspirations for the look of the show, from cinematography to the night sky."
Click through the gallery to see her muses and a bonus sketch from the collection.
· Designer Directory: Barbara Tfank [Style]
· Michelle Obama Wears Barbara Tfank; Oscar Dress Predictions [Racked]