Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Slowly but surely, the days are starting to heat up, and women and men alike are starting to feel the itch to ditch the layers of fabric that have been encasing their legs through a protracted, dreary spring. Us chicks have a nice variety of options: miniskirts, gauzy maxidresses, culottes?but for dudes, it's basically shorts. And WOW, there are some bad options out there. We know it's tempting to go with the flow and throw on a pair of jorts. But resist, we implore you! We've rounded up some options that will keep your gams cool without making you look like a dandy, a jock, or a Euro tourist. You're welcome!
· All Racked LA trend coverage [Racked LA]
- Seersucker: it's not for everyone. But if you're going to do it, do it right: this pair from A.P.C. is just the right length to make them jaunty but not too prissy. $180 at
- It's hard to go wrong with lifestyle brand RVCA. Here's a pair that would pair up well with anything from flip-flops to some natty oxfords. And they're priced right. $40 at
- Band of Outsiders is another brand that it's practically impossible to argue with. These khaki cutoffs are casual, but the usual BoO tailoring and details make these crisp and not sloppy. $230 at
- For those of you who just can't give up your jorts: These Rag & Bone cotton shorts have a trimmer fit that will show off your girlish figure, so to speak. $195 at Ba
- For those among you who are screaming, Ya, but do you have anything less SISSY? These OBEY camo/cargo shorts have just enough youthful attitude to keep you from looking like you just escaped The Ted Nugent Home for Wayward Boys. $68 at
- You kind of have to love these shorts since they are, in fact, called the Angus Youngs. They show a lot of leg, but masculine fabrics balance out the "dandy" effect. $105 at Left Field NYC
- Utilitarian but still stylish: a simply, unfussy pair by Standard Issue, $52, at Oak NYC
- These chambray shorts are like a classier cousin to jorts. Babysteps, people, babysteps. $54 at
- These G Star chino shorts are just the right amount of slouchy. $130 at Sse
- Call us bitches if you must, but PLEASE abstain from either sweat shorts or droopy crotch shorts. We don't care if they're Alexander Wang, Rick Owens, Comme Des Garcons, whateverâ€¦and DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT DROOPY CROTCH SWEATSHORTS. Thanks.