Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
The Black Friday scene at Urban Outfitters at The Oaks
This weekend millions of people went out to shop on Black Friday. And, like in years past, a select few acted like assholes. A few incidents made the news: The LA Times reports that a group of men began fighting outside of an H&M at the Culver City Mall (ABC has a video of the scuffle) while in Atwater, a man climbed up on top of a cop car to throw a fit because the line to enter Best Buy was too long. Of course, the biggest Black Friday shitshow making the rounds is woman who pepper sprayed other shoppers at a Wal-Mart in Porter Ranch while in pursuit of an Xbox. According to the Daily News, she turned herself in the next day.
Did you go out to shop on Black Friday? If so, we want to hear your shitshow stories. The tipline is open.
· Woman who pepper sprayed Black Friday Wal-Mart shoppers surrenders to police [Daily News]
· Black Friday Pepper Sprayer Surrenders to Police [LAist]
· Black Friday brawl at Culver City mall brings police response [L.A. Now]
· Holiday Shopping Season: Fights Erupt at Mall [ABC Local]
· Shopper Stomps on Cop Car at Local Best Buy, More [Echo Park Patch]