Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
A funny thing happened while we were running around covering and writing about Fashion's Night Out—this whole thing called New York Fashion Week was going on without getting appropriate attention from us! Now that we've told you all about what went down to kick off NYFW, here's a recap of what happened yesterday:
· Carolina Herrera went to a garden party, with looks that seemed to suggest that the prim and proper designer doubled up on starch this year.
· Carlos Miele broke free from the predominant neutrals of the season and showcased brightly colored sportswear and sparkly cocktail attire to the confusing beat of a Latin version of Pink Floyd's The Wall.
· Tracy Reese showed more of what she's known for: girlie dresses and fun prints in conservative silhouettes.
· No, all the cameras at Donna Karan's show didn't break—almost everything was a shade of khaki. Anyone heading out on a safari is seriously in luck.
· Monique Lhuillier's inspiration was apparently the Garden of Eden—we had no idea Eve had it this good.
· Betsey Johnson got physical, sending her models down the runway on skateboards and bicycles. At that point, who notices the clothes?
· Marc Jacobs seems to have been watching a whole lot of Charlie's Angels reruns, as his collection for spring channeled the glamorous looks of the 70s, complete with giant floppy hats.
· All Fashion Week Coverage [Racked, Racked NY]